[News] FOSS FUD Thrown at Open Source Conference

Open Source FUD Flies at Florida Higher Education Conference

,----[ Quote ]
| The New York Times is running an interesting piece from IDG News on how
| administrators and IT chiefs for higher educational institutions are at odds
| over whether it makes sense to deploy open source software instead of
| proprietary products. The flap went on this week at the Educause conference
| in Florida. Within the argument that's going on, a number of surprising
| fallacies about open source are apparently cropping up. Here are the details.
`----

http://ostatic.com/176104-blog/open-source-fud-flies-at-florida-higher-education-conference

"Open source is an intellectual-property destroyer [...] I can't imagine
something that could be worse than this for the software business and the
intellectual-property business. I'm an American; I believe in the American
way, I worry if the government encourages open source, and I don't think we've
done enough education of policymakers to understand the threat."

                        --Jim Allchin, Microsoft

Recent:

GOSCON gives government good open source ideas

,----[ Quote ]
| Ironically, some of the most interesting discussion at GOSCON was kicked off
| by sponsor Microsoft and a talk from the company’s Director of Open Source
| Strategy Bryan Kirschner about how the company fits into a world where open
| source is more than just a hobbyist fad.
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/10/22/goscon-gives-government-good-open-source-ideas/

Microsoft self interest is its commitment to open source

,----[ Quote ]
| I believe that Microsoft’s earnest intent is to make open source on Windows,
| ASP.Net and Silverlight as simple and supported as open source on Linux and
| Apache infrastructure, following on its previous movement toward open source.
| Would Microsoft benefit from making these newly-supported, open source pieces
| and products less efficient or integrated?
`----

http://blogs.the451group.com/opensource/2008/10/19/microsoft-self-interest-is-its-commitment-to-open-source/

Penguins in Tel Aviv? It Must Be the Annual Open-Source Convention

,----[ Quote ]
| Yes, you read that right: Microsoft was a major sponsor of the conference,
| and its logo appeared prominently on the conference program, as well as on
| the T-shirts that were distributed to each attendee. There was even a very
| well-attended session at which a Microsoft manager (Amir Shevat) tried to
| convince the crowd that the war is over, and that it's worth trying to find
| ways in which Microsoft and the open-source community can work together.
`----

http://ostatic.com/170384-blog/penguins-in-tel-aviv-it-must-be-the-annual-open-source-convention

Related:

Microsoft participation to stir open source summit talks

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Philippines will sponsor an open source summit in Cebu next month
| and this early, the software giant is bracing itself for lively discussions
| about openXML and the fact that the company will make its presence felt at
| the summit.
`----

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/breakingnews/infotech/view/20080516-136995/Microsoft-participation-to-stir-open-source-summit-talks

Microsoft is Golden sponsor for the Java Developer Conference in Egypt

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft? Yes, Microsoft will be a Golden sponsor in the Java Developer
| Conference which organized by the Egyptian Java User Group.
`----

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/ahashim/archive/2008/02/microsoft_is_go_1.html

Linux World China 2007 and Software Freedom Day preview

,----[ Quote ]
| The venue was also full of Microsoft folks trying to start a chat with
| visitors.
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/opensource/0,39060102,63000537,00.htm

"Microsoft seems to have hijacked Linux Asia"

,----[ Quote ]
| Was the general feel amongst the attendees at Linux Asia 2007;
| MS however, just wanted to say ''let us walk hand-in-hand''
`----

http://www.ciol.com/content/developer/Linux/2007/107020104.asp

Linux vendors and Microsoft follow the money

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell's recently unpopular chief executive was doing more than reading from
| a crudely scripted speech when he told LinuxWorld to get with the program and
| deal with Microsoft and mixed source.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/10/microsoft_open_source/

Did LinuxWorld survive Microsoft's Mike Hall?

Linux-Microsoft Lovefest at LinuxWorld Expo

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1309

LinuxWorld: It's About The Apps (Dummy)!

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft's appearance was an unexpected highlight. I half expected
| to be inundated by Microsoft messaging and materials about what
| Microsoft is doing with Novell. Instead, the Redmondites just
| mingled with the open sourcers, chatting them up about what
| they thought about the show and, of course, Microsoft.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news/article.php/3660541

Microsoft sponsors FOSS event (what the hell's going on!!!)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/Microsoft_sponsors_FOSS_event_what_the_hell_s_going_on