Re: Troll-Free COLA Stats: Saturday the 1st of November, 2008.

Homer wrote:
Verily I say unto thee, that High Plains Thumper spake thusly:

Homer wrote:

[1]: Certain off-charter, abusive, anti-Linux or
pro-Microsoft threads will be dropped, depending on their
severity, and hence not included in the stats, which are
provided by me as a measure of advocacy, not as a means of
spreading the Trolls' lies and malice even further.

Just think Homer, if we had a
comp.os.linux.advocacy.moderated group, you would not have
to produce t[r]oll free stats. The trolls would be moderated out. :-)

I'm not naive enough to think that a group like COLA[M] won't
attract Trolls, especially given Microsoft's documented
intentions in that regard ("Evangelism is War!"). And as
others have pointed out COLA is more like a bar than some
private club ("Is this the right room for an argument?"),
which serves as a honey pot to attract all the kooks and
shills that would otherwise infest other Linux groups.

That doesn't mean I have to read any of their putrid garbage
tho', and it certainly doesn't mean I have to propagate it in
the stats.

As I've said before, I would no more consider including the
Trolls crap in the stats than any other spam. It's not
advocacy. Period.

Homer, of course it isn't.  However, I have seen enough of:

[quote]
7.1 Disinformation

If COLA were a physical location like a building where those who would advocate the growth of the Linux operating systems and the Linux community gather, the anti-Linux propagandists would be raiding that building. They would be vandalizing the building, painting graffiti on the walls, defecating and urinating on the floors and furniture, breaking down the doors, setting fire to the building and physically assaulting the resident Linux advocates and the visitors who happen to be in the building at the time of the raid.

COLA is not a physical location, so they have had to adapt their methods so that they can do an on-line version of what was described in the prior paragraph. A key method used by anti-Linux propagandist to attack Linux, its users, sysadmins, developers, advocates and those who have come to COLA to lean about Linux. is a form of propaganda known as disinformation. One of their favorite version of disinformation is known as FUD.
[/quote]

I have seen it all in this group. The writer of this section in the FAQ hit the nail on the head of all the anti-Linux advocacy I have seen here.

As far as bars go, this is more of a Blue Spruce Lizard Lounge in the dingiest part of the city than it is a Cheers [tm] TV show bar.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati