[News] [SOT] MAFIAA Techniques Unveiled, DRM-Free Music Introduced

How Major Labels Try To Overwhelm Startups

,----[ Quote ]
| I want to give everyone an inside look at some of the tactics that EMI is
| employing in their legal assault to try and put MP3tunes out of business.
| Casual readers might think this case is about piracy or file sharing, but
| it's not. (People don't use our password-protected Lockers to share files -
| it's too restrictive. There are much easier ways.)
|
| To pound a tech startup into submission the major record labels try to bury
| them with legal threats, pressure their partners and impose massive document
| requests. These actions are disguised as "legally permitted discovery", but
| the goal is to force the company to spend time and money to disrupt their
| business and maybe even destroy them.
`----

http://www.michaelrobertson.com/

Sainsbury's to sell £99 DRM-free unlimited music

,----[ Quote ]
| Supermarket chain Sainsbury's is amongst the retailers who'll be offering you
| a £99 a year unlimited music service that lets you keep the DRM-free songs
| you download.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/31/datz_unlimited_music_bundle/

Another case of streaming (service) as a business model:

http://us.ajax13.com/en/ajaxtunes/index.jsp

Recent:

750,000 lost jobs? The dodgy digits behind the war on piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| First, the estimate of 750,000 jobs lost. (Is that supposed to be per year? A
| cumulative total over some undefined span? Those who cite the figure seldom
| say.) Customs is most often given as the source for this, and indeed, you can
| find press releases from as recently as 2002 giving that figure as a U.S.
| Customs and Border Patrol estimate. Eureka! But when we contacted CBP to
| determine how they had arrived at that imposing figure, we were informed that
| it was, in essence, a goof. The figure, Customs assured us, came from
| somewhere else, and was mistakenly described as the agency's own. This should
| come as no great surprise: CBP is an enforcement agency, whereas calculating
| the total loss of jobs from IP infringement would require some terrifyingly
| complex counterfactual modeling by trained economists. Similar claims have
| appeared in Customs releases dating back at least to 1993, but a CBP
| spokesperson assured us that the agency has never been in the business of
| developing such estimates in-house.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/dodgy-digits-behind-the-war-on-piracy.ars

Judge halts sales of RealDVD

,----[ Quote ]
| Representatives from the MPAA and RealNetworks could not be reached Sunday.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10058574-93.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Music stars unite to seek control

,----[ Quote ]
| UK pop and rock stars are taking action to try to gain ownership and control
| of their work from record labels.

British Government Violates Copyright

,----[ Quote ]
| As much as I utterly despise the entire premise of Intellectual Monopoly,
| this is about violating the principles of a Free License, and if it's good
| enough for the British government to violate our civil rights in the name of
| Intellectual Monopoly, then it's good enough for the Free World to protect
| its "property" (in fact Freedom) too…
`----

http://slated.org/british_government_violates_copyright

UK government stole website theme

,----[ Quote ]
| NUMBER 10, the UK Prime Minister's website, is apparently built using a
| design it nicked.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/18/uk-government-stole-website

US presidential candidate is a pirate