Re: Linux can use 8GB RAM, what's the problem with Vista ?

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:04:47 -0400
"DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Yawn.  Another dumbass lie from another dumbass Linux liar.
>
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_vista

I have to wonder why there are memory limits at *all* in any of the
64-bit versions that aren't hardware imposed.  That is just stupid and
ugly (to borrow a few words out of the book of Torvalds).  It doesn't
cost any extra to support what the hardware supports, so why the
limitation?  One word:  extortion.

> > Windows ... which RAM limitation would you like today ?
>
> I just saw - not read - that OpenOffice 3.0 Calc (latest version) has
> just 1024x65536 cells, or 1/256th the capacity of MS Office 2007
> Excel (latest version).
>
> OSS crapware: what can you expect for free?

I wouldn't open a sheet that used that many cells, let alone however
many you claim Excel can have.  Such a sheet would not be very useful;
large datasets belong in database systems, not spreadsheets.

	--- Mike

--
My sigfile ran away and is on hiatus.
http://www.trausch.us/