[News] Open Source Virtual World in Education

Researchers use Open Source virtual world for language teaching

,----[ Quote ]
| Realtown builds on an Open Source Distributed Interactive Virtual
| Environments (DIVE) installation, which was developed by the Swedish
| Institute of Computer Science in the 1990s.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/NewsStory.aspx?story=86685

Recent:

OpenSim on half a buck a day

,----[ Quote ]
| I recently decided to see what the big deal was about OpenSim. After
| initially installing it on my desktop computer and connecting to it with the
| latest Release Candidate viewer, I decided to try to set it up on an
| inexpensive hosting account to see how feasible it was to run a real sim live
| on the Internet. Today's blog post talks a bit about how I did it, it's not a
| how-to guide, and you'll probably need to be a bit of a Linux geek to follow
| along, but hopefully you find it interesting.
`----

http://emmanowhere.blogspot.com/2008/07/opensim-on-half-buck-day.html

realXtend Open Source Virtual Reality Platform Accelerates With Growing
Ecosystem

,----[ Quote ]
| Working in cooperation with the City of Oulu, Finland and Oulu Innovation,
| Global Connexus today announced that the realXtend open source virtual
| reality platform adoption is accelerating, extending the support of an
| interconnected network of 3D virtual worlds with rich, multi-user
| experiences. Nokia and the City of Oulu, Finland have joined the supporters
| of the realXtend project aimed at developing the world's best virtual world
| platform on an open source basis.
`----

http://sanjose.dbusinessnews.com/shownews.php?newsid=167823&type_news=latest

The university of tomorrow could be in a virtual world.

,----[ Quote ]
| Many universities today have a campus built on the Second Life online
| platform. Sun has gone one better and built their own platform from the
| ground up and in Sun tradition, it is an open source project.
`----

http://www.bangkokpost.com/011008_Database/01Oct2008_data70.php

3-D virtual reality environment developed at UC San Diego helps scientists
innovate

,----[ Quote ]
| Each pair of projectors is powered by a high-end, quad-core PC running on
| Linux, with dual graphics processing units and dual network cards to achieve
| gigabit Ethernet or 10GigE networking.
`----

http://www.universityofcalifornia.edu/news/article/18585

IBM and Linden Lab Interoperability Announcement

,----[ Quote ]
| This is a historic day for Second Life, and for virtual worlds in general.
| IBM and Linden Lab have announced that research teams from the two companies
| successfully teleported avatars from the Second Life Preview Grid into a
| virtual world running on an OpenSim server, marking the first time an avatar
| has moved from one virtual world to another.
|
| [...]
|
| An open standard for interoperability based on the Open Grid Protocol would
| allow users to cross freely from one world to another, just as they can go
| from one Web site to another on the Internet today.
`----

http://blog.secondlife.com/2008/07/08/ibm-linden-lab-interoperability-announcement/

Beyond Second Life: Virtual Worlds' Second Wind

,----[ Quote ]
| Moreover, Google seems to have shot itself in the foot by requiring Lively
| users (Liveliers? Livelivers??) to be running Windows XP or Vista. It can
| hardly be beyond the wit of the massed Google geniuses to come up with a
| cross-platform solution that runs on GNU/Linux and the Mac as well. Maybe
| this focus on Windows reflects the kind of user they expect to get excited
| about creating an avatar (wow!) and chatting with friends in rooms you design
| (far out, man!). It's hard not to see Lively as another Orkut, Google's
| me-too social network that nobody outside members of certain Brazilian
| subcultures seems to use these days.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=1012&blogid=14

Related:

Semantic Wonderland

,----[ Quote ]
| Among the most impressive demos at JavaOne was the open sourced
| Project Wonderland which James Gosling presented during his Toy
| show. It is a virtual world that grew out of project Looking Glass,
| the 2.5D Java Desktop that was unveiled a couple of years ago.
|
| [...]
|
| Apparently one gets the best out of wonderland by running it on Linux,
| as one can then interact with real X applications.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/semantic_wonderland

Watch out Second Life: China launches virtual universe with seven million
souls

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2093758,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront