[News] Tour of Mozilla Ubiquity, Geolocation in Firefox 3.1

Mozilla Ubiquity - the Web-integrated YOU

,----[ Quote ]
| Ubiquity is a really, really, really interesting project. It's unique,
| refreshing - and above all - truly useful. It saves time, it's smart and
| unobtrusive, it's virtually limited in its growth and customization
| capabilities, and it will really make the future of browsing into something
| completely different from what it is today.
|
| Here's a real change of creating a semi-AI tool that will serve you rather
| the other way around.
`----

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/ubiquity.html

clearing up a little confusion about geolocation in Firefox 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| There has been some confusion around the Geolocation functionality that we’re
| including in Firefox 3.1 Beta 1.  I thought I might make a short post to try
| and clear some of it up.
|
| 1. Out of the box, Firefox 3.1 Beta 1 doesn’t include any back-end providers
| of location information.
|
| This is technical-sounding, and it is, but an important thing to understand.
| Aza has a post that provides some more information on this topic. Simply put:
| Firefox has to get its location information from something - a GPS, a service
| like Skyhook or something you set up by hand.  This Beta does not include
| anything out of the box that provides that information - just the hooks to
| use them if they are available.  We’ve seen posts that say we’re including
| Skyhook or Loki or other things, and that’s not true.  That’s why the
| web-tech post on Beta 1 suggests you install an add-on that lets you set your
| location manually.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=819

Recent:

Firefox 3.1 beta 1 released and reviewed

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released Firefox 3.1 Beta 1, the first official development
| release of the next update to Firefox 3 just about four months after its
| release past June.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/10/firefox-31-beta-1-released-and-reviewed/

Browser Review: Mozilla Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| By some estimates, more than 1.4 billion people use the Internet for work,
| entertainment, or commerce. All of those web surfers must use a browser to
| visit websites or shop at online stores, and if browsing speed, security, and
| functionality matter, those users should be cruising the information super
| highway with the Mozilla Firefox 3 web browser.
|
| [...]
|
| Recommendation: Firefox is the Best Browser Available Today
|
| Firefox is fast, safe, and offers better functionality than the competition
| thanks to an impressive collection of add-ons and some cool built-ins. The
| browser is available for Windows, Mac, and Linux operating systems, and it is
| free to everyone. Certainly there are tradeoffs, but compared to
| compatibility problems and graphics support issues in IE6 and IE7, Chrome’s
| spying, and Opera’s propensity to crash, Firefox is the best.
`----

http://www.practicalecommerce.com/articles/843-Browser-Review-Mozilla-Firefox-3

Overhauled tabbed browsing for Firefox 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Firefox 3.1 may well be remembered as the “tab release”, as tabbed browsing
| will be the most noticeable updated area users will face when it comes out in
| final form.
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/09/overhauled-tabbed-browsing-for-firefox-31/

Finer session restore for Firefox 3.1

,----[ Quote ]
| Back from a totally offline, sweet 7-day cruise with great times at Aruba,
| Curaçao, Sint Maarten, and Saint Thomas. Aruba and Curaçao: overrated. Sint
| Maarten: the winner hands down. If you can, jump on one now!
`----

http://mozillalinks.org/wp/2008/10/finer-session-restore-for-firefox-31/

Mozilla: Firefox is faster than Chrome

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla answered claims that Google's Chrome browser outperforms Firefox with
| benchmark results of its own that showed the upcoming Firefox 3.1 is faster
| at executing JavaScript.
|
| According to tests run by Brendan Eich, Mozilla's chief technology officer
| and the creator of JavaScript, Firefox's new TraceMonkey interpreter is up to
| 28 percent faster than V8, the name Google gave to the interpreter used by
| Chrome.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1499123917&rid=-50

Firefox 3.1 Alpha 2 reviewed