[News] GNU/Linux NeXTstep-like Docks (Stolen and Patented by Apple)

The State of Linux Docks

,----[ Quote ]
| Brief history of Docks: NeXTstep was first to introduce the idea of “docks”
| in an operating system back in 1989 when neXTstep 1.0 was first released.
| Later as most of Nextstep’s codebase was used on OpenStep and then on OS
| X, “dock” was one of the few original and the most prominent features that
| stayed with OS X. Looking Glass was a free open source dock written in Java,
| developed by a Sun Microsystem employee in his spare time on a Linux laptop.
| It was first demonstrated publicly in 2003. There is an argument among
| fanboys that Apple stole took the idea of 3D look and feel from the Project
| Looking Glass, to give apple docks its present look; however there is no
| question that Apple, which bought NeXTstep (founded by Steve Jobs), was the
| original developer of the concept of “docks”. As of October 8, 2008 Apple was
| awarded patent for Mac OS X Dock after waiting for almost nine years.
`----

http://www.linuxhaxor.net/2008/10/15/the-state-of-linux-docks/

I use AWN and it's very impressive. It can do things Leopard can't.

Recent:

Bringing Aim to Awn! (Finally)

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the start of Awn I have wanted to bring Aim to Awn, to chat with. I
| just thought it would be neat.
|
| [...]
|
| I decided to decided to edit that applet and make it into something
| different, more pleasing to me. So after trial and error with a bunch of the
| code, I was editing, I finally got something to work for me!!
|
| Here are some screen shots:
`----

http://neverendinginternet.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/bringing-aim-to-awn-finally/

Related:

AWN Updates: New 3D Effect

,----[ Quote ]
| AWN is developing so quickly that it is worthwhile updating and recompiling
| on a daily basis to see the changes. Today brought a new look for the
| Volume-Control-Applet and a new Icon effect: 3D turn. As you mouse over the
| icons they spin around their vertical axis. Below are a few screenies, but
| the 3D effect would be best to see in a video. I'm a bit time-strapped, so
| it's pictures only. But you'll get the idea.
`----

http://grumpymole.blogspot.com/2007/09/awn-updates-new-3d-effect-awn-is.html

Snaek Peek at Stacks for Awn

,----[ Quote ]