[News] Free Software Perspective from Eric von Hippel

Portrait: Eric von Hippel, user innovation, and FOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| However, von Hippel remains convinced that user innovation will continue to
| gain importance. Noting that, when hardware is being designed, it is as much
| an information product as software, he suggests that the next stage is
| increased collaborative innovation in hardware. He cites as an example Bug
| Labs, a company dedicated to products whose hardware is modular and can be
| assembled to meet users' preferences, and whose software is also modifiable
| by users. "It's like an electronic LEGO labs," he says approvingly.
|
| As von Hippel's ideas begin to gain currency in both academic and business
| circles, it is starting to seem as though his lifework is itself an example
| of user innovation and he himself a lead user. His explanations of his early
| observations about the shortcomings of conventional economic theory are now
| not only beginning to become mainstream, but also a potential source for more
| collaborative innovation, especially in the FOSS community. While these
| connections are just beginning to make themselves felt, they seem a fitting
| and logical development to his life's work.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/149403

Coding moves with the times

,----[ Quote ]
| “There are hidden costs in any software development project, but with open
| source people tend to think they are not there,” he says. Traditionally,
| support costs have been factored into application budgets, but with open
| source there can be a misleading assumption that the community will provide
| the necessary support for nothing.
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/computing/features/2228178/coding-moves-times-4277615

Sounds like the classic FUD. Support for proprietary software isn't free,
either.

Related:

Microsoft: Steward of Linux, protector of competition

,----[ Quote ]
| As Yared points out, the software industry is brutal and ruthless.
| But not enough to sue your own customers and partners, apparently. I
| for one am thankful that Linux and open source has provided a monstrous
| speed bump before the rapacious locomotives of the commercial software
| industry. And, lo, innovation has not been smitten from the network.
| But unlike Yared, I see no reason to remove those speed bumps now
| that they are truly proving effective.
|
| If Microsoft or any other software vendor thinks they will improvet
| heir market standing by suing users and partners -- we would have seen
| a lot more of that already. Fortunately these companies remain mostly
| run by salespeople, and not lawyers. It's not been kumbaya, it's beenm
| utual assured survival -- as long as the growth has been in
| double-digits. High growth has always protected and insulated the
| software industry from itself.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Gardner/?p=2386

10 reasons why I switched to Linux