[News] GNU/Linux Getting Even More Secure with New Features, PAM

Linux Vendors Increase Security Features

,----[ Quote ]
| Analysis: Red Hat, Canonical and Novell are enhancing the security features
| in their Fedora, Ubuntu and OpenSUSE Linux distributions, which are all
| slated for release later in 2008.
|
| [...]
|
| What's more, full-disk encryption, unlocked by a single pass key, poses
| problems for multiuser machines, in which the disk unlocking is an
| all-or-nothing proposition, as opposed to a user-by-user measure.
|
| As implemented in Ubuntu 8.10, the encrypted private directory feature
| creates a folder—labeled "Private"—in users' home directories. The system
| automatically encrypts files placed in this directory and unlocks the
| directory upon user log-on.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Linux-Vendors-Increase-Security-Features/

Let PAM take care of GNU/Linux security for you

,----[ Quote ]
| If each Linux program had to include its own authentication logic, we'd go
crazy. How could you trust that all your applications implemented the same
checks? And how could you implement extra controls?
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/149986

Recent:

SELinux and Security changes in the 2.6.27 Kernel

,----[ Quote ]
| # SELinux deferred mapping of filesystem contexts
| This patch by Stephen Smalley addresses the case where "alien" SELinux
| security labels need to be written to the local filesystem, for example, in
| the case of building RPMs where the local policy is different to the policy
| on the system where the RPM is to be installed. This will help with enabling
| SELinux on build systems (e.g. in the Fedora infrastructure) and more
| generally with packagers and ISVs shipping third party policy with RPMS.
`----

http://james-morris.livejournal.com/35287.html

Ubuntu gets SELinux

,----[ Quote ]