[News] Linux Standards Base 4.0 Reaches Beta

Linux Standards Base (LSB) 4.0 hits Beta

,----[ Quote ]
| The overall goal of the LSB is all about portability - write once for LInux
| and have your app run on any distro. It's a worthy goal for sure though a
| difficult one. That said, the Linux Foundation is already claiming a degree
| of early success with the LSB 4.0 beta. They claim that there are already
| some 234 applications that are at or nearly ready for LSB 4.0
| certification..not too shabby.
`----

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2008/10/linux-standards-base-lsb-40-hi.html

Linux Foundation Releases Beta of Porting Solution

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation releases the first public beta of Linux Standard Base
| (LSB) 4.0, which reduces the differences between various Linux distributions
| for developers. LSB 4.0 features a new application checker, a new shell
| script checker, and a new multi-version software development kit (SDK).
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Linux-Foundation-Releases-Beta-of-Porting-Solution/

Recent:

Theodore Tso: How the LSB Helps You Behind the Scenes

,----[ Quote ]
| Theodore Tso: So I got involved with Linux starting in 1991; I believe or at
| least Linus tells me that I'm the first North American Linux kernel
| developer. I started in late August of '91 with the Linux kernel version 0.09
| and been involved with Linux for a very long time. In 1999, I started making
| Linux my full-time job when I started working for VA Linux Systems and in
| 2001 I started working for IBM and about nine months ago I started a two-year
| assignment with the Linux Foundation so I'm still employed by IBM but they're
| letting me spend two years helping out the Linux Foundation, largely with the
| Linux standards space, but I'm also doing other things with them in terms of
| you know helping with the Kernel Summit which is now being run out of the
| Linux Foundation and all sorts of other things, but those are probably the
| two biggies.
`----

http://broadcast.oreilly.com/2008/09/theodore-tso-how-the-lsb-helps.html

Related:

Go Google, Linux, or Open source or go home! Google tops wireless application
developers for LBS apps

,----[ Quote ]
| Another interesting finding from the study reports that almost two-thirds
| (60.5%) of wireless developers plan to be using open source or Linux-specific
| tools to build applications for mobile devices in the next year.
`----

http://gisuser.blogspot.com/2007/10/go-google-linux-or-open-source-or-go.html

Linux Foundation Releases New Carrier Grade Linux 4.0 Specification

,----[ Quote ]
| At the Communications Ecosystem Conference today The Linux Foundation,
| the new organization formed last month from the merger of the Open Source
| Development Labs and the Free Standards Group, today announced availability
| of its Carrier Grade Linux 4.0 Specification.
`----

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/02-27-2007/0004535117&EDATE=

The SCOPE Alliance Releases Carrier Grade Linux Profile Version 1.2

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20070419005935&newsLang=en