Re: Why buy Microsoft Office?

Michael B. Trausch wrote:
On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:48:41 -0600 High Plains Thumper
<highplainsthumper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I knew of engineering students who did their homework on the
back side of discarded computer printout paper.  They did
this because of budgetary reasons.  The profs didn't care as
long as they had something to grade.

Interesting, that. I figured it was still that way today in brick-and-mortar schools, but it doesn't appear that way---a
friend of mine goes to Georgia Institute of Technology and the
majority of professors there require that assignments are
turned in electronically now.

You can of course use whatever software you want, so long as
it's in the right format when its turned in.  But I think this
retarded, because they do not require a format like PDF or
even XPS (even though I'd argue that XPS is stupid itself, PDF
having existed for years and being a de facto document
exchange standard).  They require Microsoft Office formats,
with exception for special sources that use software that require different other formats (some engineering things and
the like).  The computers even do half the grading for the
professors nowadays, automatically figuring in things like
tardiness deductions and whatnot... ahh, how wonderful
technology is.

Some don't seem to understand the value of money and need to conserve. As a student with a very tight budget, one learns to do what ever it takes to survive, even using bicycle, small motorcycle or scooter, etc.

As far as PDF goes, I find it convenient in Linux to use the PDF printer function of CUPS. There is even a free PDF printer out there if one is a Windows user, that is quite good.

--
HPT
Quando omni flunkus moritati