[News] Ruby Adoption Claimed on the Rise

Merb: Ruby on Rails Meets the Enterprise

,----[ Quote ]
| The Merb community releases Merb Release Candidate 1.0, a Web development
| framework similar to Ruby on Rails that is geared more toward enterprise
| applications, its creators say.
|
| Engine Yard, a provider of cloud deployment and open-source tools for Ruby
| and Ruby on Rails applications, has announced the first major release of the
| open-source framework Merb.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Application-Development/Merb-Ruby-on-Rails-Meets-the-Enterprise/

Koders.com Search Data from Black Duck Software Shows Ruby Rising as
Programming Language of Choice for Developers

,----[ Quote ]
| Company Increases Size of Code Search Repository by More Than 33 Percent
| Since April
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/koderscom-search-data-black-duck/story.aspx?guid=%7BC61B6DC3-58A3-48E7-AA00-92F1A3C4CC87%7D&dist=hppr

Microsoft is now trying to just hijack Ruby (EEE).

Recent:

Microsoft bolsters Ruby efforts

,----[ Quote ]
| Also at OSCON, Microsoft will unveil IronRuby-Contrib, a Microsoft Public
| License (Ms-PL) open source project...
| ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| [...]
|
| While often criticized by open-source advocates, Microsoft nonetheless has
| established a presence at OSCON this week, with its sponsorship of the
|                                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
| Participate08 session at OSCON, which was focused on boosting dialogue about
| open source and other collaborative communities.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1547928661&rid=-50

Related:

Ruby project yields to Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, meanwhile, has welcomed Ruby.NET project participants to its
| IronRuby project, licensed under the Microsoft Public License (Ms-PL).
`----                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/05/ruby_dot_net_ends/

Microsoft's newest Halloween documents

,----[ Quote ]
|     * Microsoft is trying to look like it's all about interoperability
|     through futile projects like Mono, Moonlight, and patent agreements with
|     Novell and also-ran Linux vendors. But these deals are really nothing
|     more than a way to tax open-source innovation to ensure open source is
|     hobbled by Microsoft's fees.
|

| And so on. Microsoft is much more open about its intentions vis-a-vis open
| source. That doesn't mean it's any more supportive of open source. It just
| means that it's getting easier to glean from public documents how the company
| feels about open source.
|
| We don't need Halloween Documents to read the tea leaves on Microsoft and
| open source. We just need to pay attention to what the company is doing. In
| the open. On an increasing basis.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9808283-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Halloween XII: What’s really behind those Microsoft licenses?

,----[ Quote ]
| Given the OSI’s stated desire to reduce the number of open source licenses,
| not increase them, I asked the OSI board why they had approved it. “We won’t
| approve licenses that are too similar to existing licenses”, board member
| Russ Nelson responded in an email. However he praised the licenses for being
| simply written, for addressing trademarks and patents, and for not naming a
| specific jurisdiction.
|
| Is that enough to differentiate them? Not according to Greg Stein of the
| Apache Foundation, who is opposed to the creation and use of new licenses
| when existing, popular licenses already do the job. “License proliferation,”
| he writes, “slows development and discourages usage by making it more
| difficult to combine and remix code.”
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Burnette/?p=423

Reverse-Halloween: The Marketing Checkbox Strategy

,----[ Quote ]
| Getting Microsoft software licenses OSI-approved and similarly getting
| Microsoft's proprietary document formats approved at ISO are like painting an
| old Chevrolet.
|
| [...]
|
| This may be enough to satisfy the enterprise customer that he is achieving
| something different. Clearly, the substance is no different: it's a lock-in
| in sheep's clothing.
`----

http://fussnotes.typepad.com/plexnex/2007/08/the-marketing-c.html

OSI email group gets catty over Microsoft's Permissive License request

,----[ Quote ]
| Things got really interesting when Chris DiBona, longtime OSI member, open
| source advocate, and open source programs manager for Google, Inc. chimed in:
|
|     I would like to ask what might be perceived as a diversion and maybe even
|     a mean spirited one. Does this submission to the OSI mean that Microsoft
|     will:
|
|     a) Stop using the market confusing term Shared Source
|     b) Not place these licenses and the other, clearly non-free , non-osd
|     licenses in the same place thus muddying the market further.
|     c) Continue its path of spreading misinformation about the nature of
|     open source software, especially that licensed under the GPL?
|     d) Stop threatening with patents and oem pricing manipulation schemes
|     to deter the use of open source software?
|
|     If not, why should the OSI approve of your efforts? That of a company who
|     has called those who use the licenses that OSI purports to defend a
|     communist or a cancer? Why should we see this seeking of approval as
|     anything but yet another attack in the guise of friendliness?
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118677

Merging "Open Source" and "Free Software"

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, they are not. Other Shared Source licenses may very well be too
| restrictive to be considered Open Source. But, Microsoft may conveniently
| divert the attention from this little detail to the fact that some of
| Shared Source licenses are Open Source.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/merging_open_source_and_free_software

Microsoft not so 'open' after all?

,----[ Quote ]
| Head of open-source group says more than half of licenses don't pass muster
|
| [...]
|
| Michael Tiemann, president of the non-profit Open Source Initiative, said
| that provisions in three out of five of Microsoft's shared-source licenses
| that restrict source code to running only on the Windows operating system
| would contravene a fundamental tenet of open-source licenses as laid out by
| the OSI. By those rules, code must be free for anyone to view, use, modify as
| they see fit.
|
| [...]
|
| By his count, the OSI has rejected "two dozen" or so license applications for
| language that restricted the use or redistribution of software and its source
| code, even when the restrictions were written with what Tiemann
| called "moral" intent. For instance, the OSI has rejected license
| applications from Quakers and other pacifists who sought to prevent the use
| of software for weapons such as landmines.
|
| "I am highly sympathetic to that point of view," he said. "But the OSI is not
| in the business of legislating moral use. We allow all use, commercial or
| non-commercial, mortal or medical."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9028318&intsrc=news_ts_head

Is Microsoft Hijacking Open Source?