[News] Linux is Pressuring Binary Modules Out

Keeping the Kernel Klean

,----[ Quote ]
| On his blog, Greg Kroah-Hartman explained, “As part of the Linux Foundation
| Technical board...we wanted to do something that could be seen as a
| general 'public statement' about them that is easy to understand and point to
| when people have questions”. Here it is:
|
|     Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules, June 2008
|
|     We, the undersigned Linux kernel developers, consider any closed-source
|     Linux kernel module or driver to be harmful and undesirable. We have
|     repeatedly found them to be detrimental to Linux users, businesses and
|     the greater Linux ecosystem. Such modules negate the openness, stability,
|     flexibility and maintainability of the Linux development model and shut
|     their users off from the expertise of the Linux community. Vendors that
|     provide closed-source kernel modules force their customers to give up key
|     Linux advantages or choose new vendors. Therefore, in order to take full
|     advantage of the cost savings and shared support benefits open source has
|     to offer, we urge vendors to adopt a policy of supporting their customers
|     on Linux with open-source kernel code.
|
|     We speak only for ourselves, and not for any company we might work for
|     today, have in the past or will in the future.
|
| Below that are 176 names.
|
| The Linux Foundation has a slightly broader statement:
|
|     The Linux Foundation recommends that hardware manufacturers provide
|     open-source kernel modules. The open-source nature of Linux is intrinsic
|     to its success. We encourage manufacturers to work with the kernel
|     community to provide open-source kernel modules in order to enable their
|     users and themselves to take advantage of the considerable benefits that
|     Linux makes possible. We agree with the Linux kernel developers that
|     vendors who provide closed-source kernel modules force their customers to
|     give up these key Linux advantages. We urge all vendors to adopt a policy
|     of supporting their customers on Linux with open-source kernel modules.
|
| Either way the message is clear.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/keeping-kernel-klean

Recent:

Linux Foundation points finger at Nvidia

,----[ Quote ]
| Though a statement issued Monday does not cite Nvidia by name, Linux
| Foundation Technical Advisory Board Chair James Bottomley cited Nvidia in a
| phone interview. "My intent is to point out the problems Nvidia has been
| causing themselves with their binary-only (drivers)," he said. "They are
| certainly one of the few companies sticking to a binary-only strategy."
| Binary-only means the drivers are essentially closed.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9975720-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Position Statement on Linux Kernel Modules

https://www.linuxfoundation.org/en/Kernel_Driver_Statement

Kernel space: drivers that don't make the kernel scene

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/062408-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news