[News] Another Linux Filesystem to Make Its Debut

Linux Summit will preview new advanced file system

,----[ Quote ]
| Although computers get bigger, run faster and accomplish more amazing feats
| all the time, they still store data in a 1970s-era file system. But that may
| be about to change.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid39_gci1334319,00.html

Recent:

Wizbit: a Linux filesystem with distributed version control

,----[ Quote ]
| When I wrote last month about the state of Linux file synchronization, I
| argued that most native Linux solutions are too complex or don't provide a
| sufficiently seamless user experience. Some imaginative developers from
| Codethink are aiming to change that with Wizbit, a new Linux filesystem that
| is designed on top of distributed version control technologies.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2008/10/07/wizbit-a-linux-filesystem-with-distributed-version-control

Tux3 Report: What next?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now that question again: what next?  Big items still outstanding to
| get to proof of concept:
|
|  1) Atomic commit
|  2) Versioning
|  3) Extents
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/9/15/23

Related:

Kernel space: a better btrfs

,----[ Quote ]
| A powerful new filesystem for Linux already supports fast snapshots,
| checksums for all data, and online resizing--and plans to add ZFS-style
| built-in striping and mirroring.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/012208-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

ext4 2.6.25 Merge Plans

,----[ Quote ]
| "The following patches have been in the -mm tree for a while, and I plan to
| push them to Linus when the 2.6.25 merge window opens," began Theodore Ts'o,
| offering the patches for review before they are merged.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Ext4_2.6.25_Merge_Plans

Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason announced version 0.10 of his new Btrfs filesystem, listing the
| following new features, "explicit back references, online resizing (including
| shrinking), in place conversion from Ext3 to Btrfs, data=ordered support,
| mount options to disable data COW and checksumming, and barrier support for
| sata and IDE drives".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_Online_Resizing_Ext3_Conversion_and_More

Linux: Btrfs, File Data and Metadata Checksums

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason announced an early alpha release of his new Btrfs
| filesystem, "after the last FS summit, I started working on a new
| filesystem that maintains checksums of all file data and metadata." He
| listed the following features as "mostly implemented": "extent based file
| storage (2^64 max file size), space efficient packing of small files,
| space efficient indexed directories, dynamic inode allocation, writable
| snapshots, subvolumes (separate internal filesystem roots), checksums on
| data and metadata (multiple algorithms available), very fast offline
| filesystem check".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8376

ZFS, XFS, EXT4 Filesystems Compared

,----[ Quote ]
| EXT4 is fast for metadata operations, tar, untar, cpio, and postmark. EXT4 is
| much faster than the others under FFSB. EXT4 with hardware RAID and external
| journal device is ludicrously fast. EXT4 seems to have a bad interaction with
| software RAID, probably because mkfs fails to query the RAID layout when
| setting the filesystem parameters.
|
| ZFS has excellent performance on metadata tests. ZFS has very bad sequential
| transfer with hardware RAID and appalling sequential transfer with software
| RAID. ZFS can copy the linux kernel source code in only 3 seconds! ZFS has
| equal latency for read and write requests under mixed loads, which is good.
|
| XFS has good sequential transfer under Bonnie++. Oddly XFS has better
| sequential reads when using an external journal, which makes little sense. Is
| noatime broken on XFS? XFS is very slow on all the metadata tests. XFS takes
| the RAID layout into consideration and it performs well on randomio with
| hardware or software RAID.
`----

http://tastic.brillig.org/%7Ejwb/zfs-xfs-ext4.html

Kernel and filesystem talks at OLS day two

,----[ Quote ]
| Mathur asked why not XFS or an entirely new filesystem? Largely, she
| explained, because of the large existing Ext3 community. They would be able
| to maintain backward compatibility and upgrade from Ext3 to Ext4 without the
| lengthly backup/restore process generally required to change filesystems. The
| XFS codebase, she says, is larger than Ext3's. A smaller codebase would be
| better.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/115767

First benchmarks of the ext4 file system

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.inet.hr/first_benchmarks_of_the_ext4_file_system.html