Re: [News] In Praise of X Server in GNU/Linux

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:09:16 +0000
<5592130.mj9sJCm0IY@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> The joy of X - master the Linux GUI

Pedant Point: X is *not* a GUI, any more than a foundation
is a house.  However, it does make for a very solid,
robust foundation, if used properly.

Also, parts of X are no longer in use -- in particular XrmQuark.

> ,----[ Quote ]
> | If you're a Linux user you have no doubt heard of GNOME
> | and KDE. These popular desktop environments are really
> | the pinnacle of a deep iceberg of technology with the
> | X-Windows graphical interface underpinning it all. Here
> | are a couple of ways to tame X, kicking off a journey
> | of unlimited ability to change the Linux look-and-feel.
> `----
>
> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/21102/1141/

There are a number of minor problems with X; most of
them have been worked around by such packages as Cairo
(superseding Pango) and various extensions.  Providing for
these extensions is one of X's strengths.

OpenGL + X is a combination that might still need work,
though that might be more of a driver/board issue than
anything else.  Ideally, though, OpenGL would work through
the network much like X does, albeit more slowly for
obvious reasons.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows.  Multi-platform(1), multi-tasking(1), multi-user(1).
(1) if one defines "multi" as "exactly one".