[News] Video Editing in GNU/Linux Comparable to Other Platforms

Open Source Video Editing

,----[ Quote ]
| What about the Linux user? Is there a comparable product that can allow a
| Linux desktop user to edit and produce video. There is and it's called Kino.
| Kino is a non-linear digital video editor for Gnu/Linux and it's a very good
| product. I've used it on Fedora, Centos and most recently Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.itworld.com/open-source/55976/open-source-video-editing

Recent:

If it's animation or special effects, it's Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Rowe's not just being a Linux booster. It's the Gospel truth. The animation
| and FX for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull; Star Wars: The
| Clone Wars; WALL-E; 300; The Golden Compass; Harry Potter and the Order of
| the Phoenix; and I Am Legend, to name but a few recent movies, were all
| created using Pixar's RenderMan and Autodesk Maya running on Linux clusters.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/if_its_animation_or_special_effects_its_linux

Related:

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/147/rowe.html

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9865829-16.html

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636VZ_R-NVs

Studios Using Linux