[News] Why Use GNU/Linux and Who Adopts It Quickly

Benefits of linux from a user point of view

,----[ Quote ]
| The other day this guy that lives with me was idleing around the house since
| he was formating his pc. He’s 100% windows user, has heard of linux, never
| seen it, doesn’t even use firefox. He asked me “Do you have any
| recommendations for me?” Obviously, I said “Install an anti-virus and a
| firewall before connecting to the internet, and while you’re at it, install
| ubuntu” and I laughed. It was half a joke, but he was actually curious
| because I have a very good looking desktop, mind you.
|
| [...]
|
| You can click all you want in email viruses, strange ads on webpages,
| anything. It doesn’t matter because windows viruses won’t run on linux, and
| there are virtually no virus for linux. If you care about your data like your
| photos, your documents, you have to be careful all the time and naturally use
| an antivirus. Antivirus either cost money or they’re free and they suck. No
| one uses antivirus software in linux. Ever. So your computer runs smoother
| because there isn’t an extra piece of software constantly wasting resources
| monitoring all that happens. That leaves ram for
| oh-my-god-compiz-fusion-is-sweet.
`----

http://linuxd.wordpress.com/2008/10/10/benefits-of-linux-from-a-user-point-of-view/

Who Uses Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux puts you in charge. You’re the mechanic of the car as well as its
| driver, and you’ll be expected to get your hands dirty every now and then.
| Unlike Windows, Linux doesn’t hide any of its settings or stop you from doing
| things for your own protection; everything is available to tweak. Using Linux
| requires commitment and the realization that there are probably going to be
| problems, and they’re going to need to be overcome.
`----

http://computingtech.blogspot.com/2008/10/who-uses-linux.html

Recent:

20 reasons to shed the Microsoft yoke and use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| This isn't a matter of belief - just one of pragmatism. I have been running
| Debian GNU/Linux for the last eight years and some - six years on one PC and
| the balance on a second one which I upgraded to.
|
| [...]
|
| 19. Freedom: You don't have to register your copy of GNU/Linux. You don't
| have to validate it. You don't have to call up some faceless entity every
| time you change to a new PC and want to re-use the same copy. You are your
| own boss. Even with commercial distributions like Red Hat, you can always opt
| for CentOS - which is Red Hat minus the trademarks. With Windows, they don't
| sell freedom.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20528/1148/

Moving from Mac to Ubuntu: Why I’m switching

,----[ Quote ]
| Why I’m leaving Mac
|
|    1. Crap file management.The Finder doesn’t work for me. No location bar
|    and no tree strucure side panel makes it difficult to navigate folders and
|    move files around the way I want to.
|    2. Insufficient panels & customization. In Ubuntu I can have as many
|    panels I want, can put all kinds of stuff on them, and can arrange them
|    however I want. In OSX You just have the dock, and you can really only put
|    applications or files on them, and you can’t even put in a separator to
|    keep them organized.
|    3. Various other annoyances. Such as:
|           * program menus are glued to the top of the screen on one monitor
|           only, which detaches them from the window. This is especailly
|           annoying when the program you’re using is on the second monitor.
|           * the date/time doesn’t open to a navigable calendar. I often use
|           this to check dates in the past or future.
|           * you can’t see hidden files unless you run a command from the
|           terminal to turn them on. Thus, hidden files are either always on
|           or always off.
`----

http://meganmcdermott.com/2008/08/29/moving-mac-ubuntu-switching/

Why Switch to Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| In an interesting post on Lifehacker, the editors ask the readers "Why did
| you switch to Linux?" The question drew quite a lot of interesting responses,
| including some very offbeat reasons for why people made the switch. If you're
| under the impression that people switch solely for rebellious or "fight the
| man" reasons, here are some of the more interesting responses and trends that
| they point to.
`----

http://ostatic.com/172141-blog/why-switch-to-linux

Top 10 Reasons To Work On Open Source (In a California Accent)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.codesimplicity.com/archives/46