[News] New Version of Linux Released, 2 Maintenance Versions Also

Linux 2.6.27

,----[ Quote ]
| So not a lot happened after -rc9, which is mostly good. I certainly don't
| want to have any upheavals at the end of an -rc series, although I
| wouldn't have minded more people looking at the regression list. That
| said, I think we're in pretty good shape, and it's not like I can hold
| back releases indefinitely anyway.
|
| The shortlog from -rc9 really is small, and I doubt many people will
| notice the changes. And as usual, if you want to know about the big
| changes since 2.6.26, the full ChangeLog is available, but people are
| much better off with the human-readable explanations at
|
|       http://kernelnewbies.org/LinuxChanges
|
| but most important is obviously to just test it. Especially if you've been
| a bad boy (or girl) and haven't been testing the -rc's.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/10/9/415

Stable kernel updates 2.6.25.18 and 2.6.26.6

,----[ Quote ]
| The 2.6.25.18 and 2.6.26.6 stable kernel updates have been released.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/302393/

Linus and the Art of the Kernel Release

,----[ Quote ]
| I have a feeling that this blog is going to provide us with many more
| insights into the making of Linux – and the mind of Linus – and that the open
| source world will be all the richer for it.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?blogid=14&entryid=1386

"It just tells you how desperate Microsoft is for a competitor that they’re
holding up a software box produced by 100 guys in the hills of North Carolina.
Who are they trying to kid?"

                --Robert Young, CEO of Red Hat

Recent:

Linux kernel developers have tripled in number

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation (LF) has published a study on Linux mainline kernel
| development. According to LF, the number of Linux kernel developers has
| tripled since 2005, with many more companies contributing to the process
| (including, potentially, the latest new LF member, Adobe).

Linux kernel community grows, but elite group remains

,----[ Quote ]
| Viro has contributed 1,571 changes to the kernel, which sits at the core of
| the Linux operating system, over the past three years, according to a new
| report from the Linux Foundation. That's more than any other individual
| developer, the report states. In contrast, Torvalds, the kernel's creator and
| steward, contributed 495 changes. Viro couldn't be reached for comment about
| the report.
|
| [...]
|
| But this group of coding superstars sails atop a roiling sea of newer
| community members, notes Jim Zemlin, executive director of the Linux
| Foundation. Roughly 3,700 developers from more than 200 companies have
| contributed to the kernel since 2005, according to the report.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/040108-linux-kernel-community-grows-but.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Related:

Linux contributor base broadens

,----[ Quote ]
| With more companies funding Linux work, the core hackers now delegate
| 70% of the coding
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/062807-linux-contributor-base.html

Amazing 3D view of linux kernels..