Amazon netbook line-up: Linux at the top.

  • Subject: Amazon netbook line-up: Linux at the top.
  • From: Mark Kent <mark.kent@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2008 09:09:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
This is for the UK Amazon site, here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/b/ref=amb_link_18231765_21?ie=UTF8&node=120100031&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=left-1&pf_rd_r=1YFDSX5NSCQJJ36382Q0&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=216705491&pf_rd_i=561904

1. Acer Aspire one Linpus Linux
2. Asus Eee Windows XP
3. Acer Aspire one Linpus Linux
4. Asus Eee Windows XP
5. Asus Eee Linux
6. Asus Eee Windows XP
7. Asus Eee Linux
8. Acer Aspire one Windows XP
9. Acer Aspire one Linpus Linux
10. Asus Eee Windows XP

... and so it goes on.

In any case, the bestseller is a Linux machine.

I posted a version of this some time ago, before Microsoft realised what
a disaster Vista was, and how much demand there is for mobility
solutions, and therefore cancelled their end-of-life statement for the
6-year-old XP in the hope of keeping a presence on some of these
machines.

Whilst they've had some success in breaking into this mainly Linux
space, there doesn't seem to be a sustainable model for Microsoft here.
They've announced that they're only going to allow OEMs to install
Windows XP into the early part of 2009, at which point, it's not clear
what their plans are.

Obviously, Vista isn't part of the plan here.

Also, very well done to the Linux folk at Asus and Acer, at Xandros and
Linpus and everywhere else, for this massive success.

Linux is Number 1 today.

--
| mark at ellandroad dot demon dot co dot uk                           |
| Open platforms prevent vendor lock-in.  Own your Own services!       |