[News] FSF Receives Cash Infusion, Fights Cloud

FSF issues WorldLabel challenge for regular hack-a-thons

,----[ Quote ]
| Spurred by a $10,000 grant from WorldLabel, the Free Software Foundation has
| released a “high priority list” of code changes it needs.
|
| The money, in turn, wants them dealt with through a new series of
| hack-a-thons.
|
| The money’s name is Russell Ossendryver (right, one step ahead of the bill
| collectors) and, while $10,000 may be lunch money for Larry Ellison, it’s
| real cash to him.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2961

Cloud Computing: Perilous Pitfall or Panacea?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Richard is right," Kevin Dean, a blogger on Monochrome Mentality,
| told LinuxInsider. Dean recently posted an article supporting cloud
| computing.
|
| "I sit here and type this out on my Gmail interface, but the truth is you DO
| give up some control when you place your data in the hands of other
| companies," Dean explained. "Your data is on their servers, but it's
| inaccessible if their servers crash, if they have a routing problem or --
| even worse -- vanish like several Web-driven services providers have, and
| your data is just gone. We place our trust in Web service providers to give
| us constant access to our oh-so-important data, yet we're fundamentally
| limiting ourselves by doing so."
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/64716.html

dotgnu got knocked off the FSF's priorities list.

Recent:

FSF reboots its High Priority list with a grant and call for input

,----[ Quote ]
| The Free Software Foundation (FSF) today announced a "reboot" of its High
| Priority Projects list with an accompanying $10,000 grant from Worldlabel.com
| Inc. The grant will seed a new fund to promote projects on the list, and the
| FSF is calling for a community conversation about the biggest challenges
| computer users face using free "as in freedom" software.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/FSF_reboots_hpp_list

FSF high priority list becomes a campaign, seeks donations

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/149424