Re: Windows Live Mail

____/ Richard Rasker on Monday 06 October 2008 08:10 : \____

> Kelsey Bjarnason wrote:
>
>> Just logged into Windows live mail.  Saw the following:
>>

>> Upgrade your web browser
>> We recommend that you upgrade your web browser so you can get the most
>> out of Windows Live Hotmail. Upgrading should only take a few minutes. To
>> get started, choose one of the browsers below:
>>
>>     * Microsoft Internet Explorer
>>     * Mozilla Firefox
>>     * Apple Safari
>>
>> If you don’t want to upgrade right now you can still continue to Windows
>> Live Hotmail, but some parts of it may not work and it may not be
>> displayed properly.
>>

>> Ahh, I should upgrade to Mozilla Firefox.  How odd; that's what I logged
>> in with.
>
> Yes, but Microsoft specifically wants you to log in with Firefox 3.
>
>> More quality tools from Microsoft. :)
>
> I've had complaints about this from several Firefox users, both on Linux and
> Windows. And of course because it's Great Software from Microsoft, it
> doesn't provide an option "Yes I know what I'm doing, don't warn me again"
> to skip the nag screen. The only way to suppress this annoyance is to
> manually change the user agent string to Firefox 3 via about:config,
> something the average user will never think of.
> I'd say that this is a good moment to dump Microsoft's crappy spammy mail
> service; several of my users have done the same -- and no, not because I
> told 'em to, but simply because they don't like to be pushed.
>
> Richard Rasker

Hotmail still riddled with spam

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that up to 98 per cent of messages sent to
| Hotmail addresses are spam.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2188226/hotmail-riddled-spam-admits

A lot of genuine messages to Hotmail users get intercepted too (this leads to
ruined friendships and lost business). They need to be informed about this.

Also of interest:

Hotmail's antispam measures snuff out legit emails, too

,----[ Quote ]
| Hotmail users and email server admins, beware: you may be unknowingly
| caught in the crossfire of Microsoft's war on spam. Unintended
| casualties include legitimate emails from domains with
| well-established reputations, which are systematically blocked
| with absolutely no notice and little recourse.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/05/01/hotmail_friendly_fire/

Microsoft Announces Changes for Accessing Hotmail with Outlook Express

,----[ Quote ]
| Important news if you currently access your Windows Live Hotmail with Outlook
| Express, come June 30th. this will no longer be possible.
|
|     A change is coming for users that access Hotmail with Outlook Express.
|     Outlook Express uses a protocol called DAV (Distributed Authoring and
|     Versioning protocol) to access a Windows Live™ Hotmail® e-mail account.
|     DAV, like POP3 or IMAP, is the way that a mail client communicates with a
|     web-based mail server.
`----

http://www.liveside.net/blogs/main/archive/2008/04/18/microsoft-announces-changes-for-accessing-hotmail-with-outlook-express.aspx
http://tinyurl.com/43rg86

Microsoft to kill Hotmail access via Outlook Express

,----[ Quote ]
| The worst part is that Windows Live Mail requires the Windows XP SP2
| operating system, or newer. That means that Microsoft has effectively screwed
| Outlook Express users on Windows 2000 and earlier. Now, I'm all for progress,
| but this is a poor way to handle the protocol change. I've got news for you
| Microsoft: users prefer being able to access their mail inefficiently, as
| opposed to not at all. These users will either have to go back to the browser
| for their e-mail, or use a non-Microsoft e-mail application.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2008/04/18/microsoft-to-kill-hotmail-access-via-outlook-express

Is Microsoft still having Windows Live outage problems or not?

,----[ Quote ]
| After a full day of downtime for many Windows Live users on February 26 — an
| outage the reasons for which Microsoft has declined to explain, but claimed
| was resolved on February 26 — some users still seem to have been having
| ongoing service-access problems.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1228

Hotmail doesn't work with Firefox 2.0: Microsoft answers to Linux users "Switch
to Outlook Express"

,----[ Quote ]
| I’m the increasingly discontent owner of an Hotmail account (don’t laught, I
| subscribed back when Hotmail wasn’t owned by Microsoft). Recently, in order
| to compete with Google on the Web, Hotmail’s interface was overhauled: it now
| has a “classic” interface, which works reasonably well but is still rather
| limited, and a supposedly “Full” interface that should make it the equal of
| sites like Google Apps and Yahoo Mail/Calendar/etc.
`----

http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/columns/hotmail_doesnt_work_with_firefox_2

Hotmail engine overhaul

,----[ Quote ]
| The redesign effort, even its more ambitious aspects, is not
| a total wash, however.
|
| [...]
|
| With Hotmail, Microsoft was at the end of its development rope.
| Every new feature basically had to be "hacked" into the code.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6181819-2.html?tag=st.next

It’s ME vs. MICROSOFT - Who Will Win ?

,----[ Quote ]
| Now, the only problem with #1 is that IT DOES NOT WORK. When Microsoft
| blackholes your email, or bounces it with “550 Your e-mail was rejected for
| policy reasons on this gateway.“, no amount of client whitelisting is going
| to help (I tried it). This leaves me with option #2 - well I say “F-You
| Microsoft, I’m not paying for YOUR STUPID MISTAKES!”
`----

http://success.grownupgeek.com/index.php/2007/09/28/its-me-vs-microsoft-who-will-win/

If Intent Can Be Proven, Microsoft Could Face Millions Of Mail Fraud Charges

,----[ Quote ]
| The final results bore out the "conventional wisdom." If emails were donuts,
| Hotmail would be HomerSimpsonMail. I don't need to reiterate the figures,
| there they are in blue and red. But for a Hotmail account to destroy up to
| 81% of all emails with attachments prior to their delivery to a "generic" ISP
| email account is nothing short of absurd, as these Hotmail accounts were not
| the free variety, but the fully paid ones. Compare those figures to the ones
| where the generic ISP email accounts exchanged emails with attachments and
| you will clearly see the difference. The worst performance was in making 2%
| Vanish.
`----

http://hubpages.com/hub/Hotmail_Fails_To_Deliver_Up_To_81_Of_All_Attachment_Emails

Botnet army' behind tenfold rise in 'attachment' spam

,----[ Quote ]
| "No one but the spam group knows how many PCs they can control with this
| spambot, it is assumed to be a high five figure number. If each of the PCs is
| instructed to send 200-300 spam messages containing a PDF attachment the
| spammers can send hundreds or millions of spam messages in a day - equivalent
| to 25 percent of all spam sent on a given day."
`----

http://www.itwire.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13866&Itemid=1054

Microsoft looking into Hotmail, Messenger problems

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft engineers were looking into problems with Windows Live
| Hotmail and Live Messenger on Thursday after users reported
| problems getting onto the services.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10805_3-6175597.html

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
| e-mail was laden with a virus.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6168629.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Microsoft is the world's biggest cause of zombie remailers

,----[ Quote ]
| In China, it would take about one and one-half years wages (for the
| average Chinese) to buy a legitimate copy of Windows Vista. If you
| could find it here.
|
| Microsoft is the biggest cause of zombie remailers in the world,
| because they make noises, but do not do anything to address the
| real digital inequities in the world.

- --
                ~~ Best of wishes

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Mandriva & Fedora - Gotta love them girls
Cpu(s): 19.9%us, 41.6%sy,  0.1%ni, 37.2%id,  0.7%wa,  0.0%hi,  0.4%si,  0.0%st