[News] Where OpenSolari Falls Behind GNU/Linux

So, what am I doing with OpenSolaris?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since feng requires FFmpeg to build, I’ve also spent quite a lot of time
| trying to get FFmpeg to build on OpenSolaris, first with GCC, then with Sun
| Studio, then again with GCC and a workaround with PIC: the bug I noted above
| with binutils is that GNU ld doesn’t seem to be able to create a shared
| object out of object not compiled with PIC, so it requires -fPIC to be forced
| on for them to build, otherwise the undefined symbols for some functions,
| like htonl() become absolute symbols with value 0 which cause obvious linking
| errors
`----

http://blog.flameeyes.eu/2008/10/04/so-what-am-i-doing-with-opensolaris

Top 10 open source s/w support issues

,----[ Quote ]
| "Open source software is a marketplace in which anyone can participate and it
| is that openness that creates one of the biggest challenges to support," said
| Byron Sebastian, CEO of SourceLabs. "The fundamental way open source is
| developed and disseminated translates into a very broad distribution of
| demand, a broad distribution of development talent and, by extension, more
| potential solutions and approaches to solve problems. Yet this very 'long
| tail' creates a very broad set of specific problems and multiple solutions
| that are increasingly difficult to locate. SourceLabs' Self-Support search
| technology makes this extremely long tail work for users by finding very
| specific fixes to their very specific issues using advanced algorithms and
| filtering technologies."
`----

http://www.ciol.com/Developer/Open-Source/News-Reports/Top-10-open-source-s/w-support-issues/31008111171/0/

Recent:

Crystal Ball Sunday #2: OpenSolaris vs. Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| My first prediction is that there will be sizable battle waged between the
| two in the Press and in IT labs alike. I foresee a lot of debate going back
| and forth about the two operating systems, their pros, their cons, and the
| stalwarts in both camps. This is going to be somewhat of a religious battle
| so prepare yourselves accordingly.
|
| Second, and perhaps more important, is the license that both operating
| systems will eventually live under. Linus Torvalds opposes GPL3 and currently
| refuses to allow the kernel to be governed by it. OpenSolaris was released
| under the CDDL (Common Development and Distribution License).
| I think the first one of these operating systems that is releases under GPL3
| will probably gain widespread acceptance with developers, corporations, and
| adopters. The reason is that most of the other open source apps released
| under GPL3 will receive vigorous adoption and development by the kernel that
| also matches that license.

The LXF Test: OpenSolaris 2008.05

,----[ Quote ]
| Why bother?
|
| Well, one good reason is "because playing with alternative OSes is fun"! More
| seriously: ZFS has some very good features, notably the concept of using
| pools rather than restricting filesystems to a particular physical device;
| and the snapshotting capabilities. I can also see the advantages of the SMF
| approach to service management - although after many years of dealing
| with /etc/init.d I fear it would take me a while to change my habits!
|
| Belenix is a distribution of OpenSolaris that
| includes whizzy Compiz 3D effects
`----

http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=729

Dabbling in OpenSolaris