[News] New Books Readers Powered by Linux

Amazon's Kindle 2 leaked

,----[ Quote ]
| After rumors surfaced on the Web a few months back that a new Kindle might be
| on the way, Amazon.com did its best to shoot them down, saying a new Kindle
| was not coming this year. Well, Boy Genius Report has gotten ahold of some
| photos that appear to be the Kindle 2, so we're curious what Amazon has to
| say now.
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10058352-1.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Throwing the book at today's computing needs

,----[ Quote ]
| You may want to take advantage of free online applications readily available
| in the Linux world, or use Google's free online word processor. Most also
| have webcams.
`----

http://www.canada.com/topics/technology/columnists/story.html?id=6d60e11d-2ccd-49e4-be92-7d3f3cb1371f

Recent:

iRex iLiad e-Reader: Linux's Answer to the Kindle?

,----[ Quote ]
| David Chisnall jumped on the E Ink bandwagon with a Linux-based iRex iLiad.
| After spending a while using the device, he has some interesting perspectives
| to share.
|
| A few weeks ago, I bought a new toy. A lot of my work involves reading—mainly
| research papers—and I justified the purchase to myself by saying it was to
| make this task easier. The new toy was an iRex iLiad, one of a new category
| of device that emerged when E Ink hit the commercial market.
`----

http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1238478

Adobe Digital Editions: a Fraud!

,----[ Quote ]
| I am not decided yet whose fraud is bigger: Adobe's one, or that of the
| e-book publishers who infamously market the digital content for Adobe Digital
| Editions as content for Adobe Reader?
|
| [...]
|
| You should therefore avoid e-books from HarperCollins, and be cautious: when
| the DRM'ed contents "fine-grained rights", it's unlikely to be a PDF (even if
| marketed as "Adobe Reader"), but something worse.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/12/25/01/11/16-adobe-digital-editions-a-fraud-

Related:

Mobipocket books on Kindle

,----[ Quote ]
| We've known for some time already that Amazon's AZW files are actually Mobi
| files, but Amazon didn't share Kindle's Mobi PID which would allow one to buy
| encrypted Mobi books for Kindle.
| Well, I've discovered the algorithm used to generate the PID and was able to
| use it on Fictionwise, but there was another catch. AZW files have a flag set
| in the DRM info which is not present in books bought from other vendors.
| After fixing that, I could read the book on Kindle.
`----

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/mobipocket-books-on-kindle.html

Don't let DRM get between you and a good book

,----[ Quote ]
| Amazon Kindle (Swindle), Sony Reader (Sh-reader), and others are all
| competing to control how, what, and when we can read with their competing
| Digital Restrictions Management technologies. Let's let them know that we
| won't buy their ebook readers until they get rid of the DRM!
`----

http://www.defectivebydesign.org/DRMEbookFlyer

The Kindle Swindle

,----[ Quote ]