[News] Reviews of Two Storage Units, Both Running Linux

Load Me Up, Load Me Down

,----[ Quote ]
| For the price (almost $700), the HP Media Vault 5150 is in the no-man's land
| between a great value and an overpriced toy. It's well-outfitted, physically
| robust, well-designed and has a lot of great little features that make it
| ideal for a small-office/home-office environment.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/10196

Bubba Two: The little server that could

,----[ Quote ]
| Simply put, Bubba Two is as good as a simple server appliance gets. It can
| handle pretty much any task you throw at it, while the easy-to-use Web
| interface makes server configuration and maintenance a breeze. The tiny size
| and discrete design coupled with low power consumption and low noise level
| make Bubba Two a perfect solution for home and small offices. In other words,
| if you are looking for a small and versatile Linux-based server, Bubba Two
| should be at the very top of your list.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148960

Introduction to Tomato Firmware

,----[ Quote ]
| Like DD-WRT, the Tomato firmware can be installed on a variety of wireless
| routers. Tomato supports the Linksys WRT54G family, which also includes the
| WRT54GS, WRT54GL, and WRTSL54GS. Note that Tomato will not work with WRT54G
| routers later than version 4, since these do not run Linux. The WRT54GL model
| is always a safe bet—the "L" stands for Linux!
`----

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/3775276

Recent:

QNAP Announces TS-509 Pro Turbo NAS

,----[ Quote ]
| The leading storage solution provider QNAP Systems, Inc. today announced its
| new generation 5-bay TS-509 Pro Turbo NAS, all-in-one Linux-embedded NAS
| server for SMB and enterprises. Powered by Intel Celeron 1.6GHz CPU, 1GB
| DDRII memory, the TS-509 Pro delivers superior performance for multiple
| business applications and intensive concurrent data access. The Linux OS and
| applications of the NAS are embedded in the flash DOM that higher stability
| is guaranteed.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/qnap-announces-ts-509-pro-turbo/story.aspx?guid=%7B297F0C27-DB90-4FD9-973A-FAFBB05C54F4%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/6m2xdj

Choosing the Right Shared Storage

,----[ Quote ]
| Older PCs are well suited for building a Linux-based home server. Most
| current Linux distros ship with the Samba networking software installed, or
| just a package download away. It's fairly straightforward to configure Samba
| to work with Windows, Macs, and other Linux systems.

Microsoft Pulls Windows Home Server Backup Feature

,----[ Quote ]
| The We Got Served blog cited several messages on the Windows Home Server
| (WHS) support forum from Power Pack 1 beta testers who claimed server-wide
| backup had been ditched because of difficult-to-solve bugs.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/146013/microsoft_pulls_windows_home_server_backup_feature.html

Microsoft admits big delay on Home Server bug fix

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has admitted that it will not deliver a fix to a Windows Home
| Server data corruption bug it first discovered late last year until June at
| the earliest.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/11/microsoft_windows_home_server_bug/

Windows Home Server bug corrupts files