[News] New Linux Kernel Almost There, Powerful Oracle Filesystem Pending Inclusion

  • Subject: [News] New Linux Kernel Almost There, Powerful Oracle Filesystem Pending Inclusion
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2008 21:53:27 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Kernel Log: 2.6.27 nearing completion; Btrfs to be added to the kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason has transferred the source code of the experimental Btrfs file
| system into a Git repository. This move is intended to make it easier for
| other kernel hackers to evaluate the file system and to stimulate discussions
| about incorporating it into the Linux main development branch. Mason believes
| that it would be best to continue development of the file system from now on
| within the framework of the official Linux kernel. If this were to happen, it
| should be with the caveat that Btrfs is not intended for everyday use, in
| much the same way that developers treat the Ext4 file system, which kernel
| hackers have been working to complete within the framework of the Linux main
| development branch since version 2.6.19.
`----

http://www.heise-online.co.uk/open/Kernel-Log-2-6-27-nearing-completion-Btrfs-to-be-added-to-the-kernel--/news/111632

Evaluating the performance of ext3 using write barriers and write caching

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, I think I see where ext3 gets its reputation for slow deletes. With the
| write cache off the delete performance is terrible, nearly 70% lower. It’s
| clear that enabling write barriers does something as the numbers are lower on
| a number of items (though not all). However it’s clear that write barriers is
| minor loss of performance compared to turning the write cache off. I think
| this leads me to consider how many servers I can run with just ext3 and md
| raid1 so as to keep the write cache enabled and the filesystem safe. I’ll
| have to weigh the performance gains against the benefits of using LVM
| (especially snapshots) and dm-crypt (which might have limited benefits on a
| server anyway).
|
| And of course I’ll be first on the list for testing a Linux filesystem that
| can do snapshots, volumes, checksums, and handle write barriers effectively.
| I’m looking at you Btrfs and Tux3.
`----

http://hightechsorcery.com/2008/10/evaluating-performance-ext3-using-write-barriers-and-write-caching

Recent:

Btrfs 0.16, Improved Scalability And Performance

,----[ Quote ]
| "Btrfs v0.16 is available for download," began Chris Mason, announcing the
| latest release of his new Btrfs filesystem. He noted, "v0.16 has a shiny new
| disk format, and is not compatible with filesystems created by older Btrfs
| releases. But, it should be the fastest Btrfs yet, with a wide variety of
| scalability fixes and new features." Improved scalability and performance
| improvements include fine grained btree locking, pushing CPU intensive
| operations such as checksumming into their own background threads, improved
| data=ordered mode, and a new cache to reduce IO requirements when cleaning up
| old transactions.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_0.16_Improved_Scalability_And_Performance

Related:

Btrfs 0.12, Performance Improvements

,----[ Quote ]
| Btrfs was first announced in June of 2007, as an alpha-quality filesystem
| offering checksumming of all files and metadata, extent based file storage,
| efficient packing of small files, dynamic inode allocation, writable
| snapshots, object level mirroring and striping, and fast offline filesystem
| checks, among other features. The project's website explains, "Linux has a
| wealth of filesystems to choose from, but we are facing a number of
| challenges with scaling to the large storage subsystems that are becoming
| common in today's data centers. Filesystems need to scale in their ability to
| address and manage large storage, and also in their ability to detect, repair
| and tolerate errors in the data stored on disk."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_0.12_Performance_Improvements

Kernel space: a better btrfs

,----[ Quote ]
| A powerful new filesystem for Linux already supports fast snapshots,
| checksums for all data, and online resizing--and plans to add ZFS-style
| built-in striping and mirroring.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/012208-kernel.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Btrfs Online Resizing, Ext3 Conversion, and More

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason announced version 0.10 of his new Btrfs filesystem, listing the
| following new features, "explicit back references, online resizing (including
| shrinking), in place conversion from Ext3 to Btrfs, data=ordered support,
| mount options to disable data COW and checksumming, and barrier support for
| sata and IDE drives".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Btrfs_Online_Resizing_Ext3_Conversion_and_More

Linux: Btrfs, File Data and Metadata Checksums

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason announced an early alpha release of his new Btrfs
| filesystem, "after the last FS summit, I started working on a new
| filesystem that maintains checksums of all file data and metadata." He
| listed the following features as "mostly implemented": "extent based file
| storage (2^64 max file size), space efficient packing of small files,
| space efficient indexed directories, dynamic inode allocation, writable
| snapshots, subvolumes (separate internal filesystem roots), checksums on
| data and metadata (multiple algorithms available), very fast offline
| filesystem check".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8376

Interview: Chris Mason about Btrfs