[News] Importance of Openness in Hardware Emphasised

Opening Hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| If you remember, one of the final hurdles for drivers under Linux are
| graphics. Most everything else is open source, which is why the kernel
| contains source code for thousands of drivers. But for graphics the trend to
| become open for NVIDIA, AMD and Intel has been a slow process – as I covered
| last issue, Intel and AMD are now actively involved in opening up either
| specifications or code, to varying degrees, while NVIDIA remains steadfastly
| silent.
`----

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/OpinionEntry/123801,opening-hardware.aspx

Recent:

A New Goal for Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| With the commitment of the AllemaniACs and others from the Fedora community
| the Fedora Robotics SIG was recently founded. It aims to make Fedora fit to
| run on a variety of robots that run (possibly constrained) compatible
| machines and to use Fedora as a development platform for robots. As always in
| Fedora, this is a community effort and all help is greatly appreciated and
| welcomed.
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/05/20/a-new-goal-for-open-source/

Hardware Mash-ups and Bug Lab's Bug

,----[ Quote ]
| That sense of joyful wonder, playful construction and even sense of danger
| was resurrected both literally and metaphorically when I began exploring the
| learning potential of Bug Labs' BUG -- an open embedded Linux-based
| combination of a BUGbase and four BUGmodules.
`----

http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/210201098

Open-Source Gadget Maker Bug Labs Closes Third Funding Round

,----[ Quote ]
| NYC-based Bug Labs, which makes open-source mobile devices, has raised a
| third round of funding. Leading the round: Court Square Ventures. Existing
| investors Union Square Ventures and Spark Capital also participated. No
| financial terms disclosed, but Bug says it'll use the money to expand its
| marketing efforts, hire people, etc.
`----

http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/8/open-source-gadget-maker-bug-labs-closes-third-funding-round

Bug Labs: It’s about open-sourcing hardware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/tech-news/?p=1415