[News] Recommendations for Editing Work with Free Software

Three Free, Open-Source Wonders for Web Workers

,----[ Quote ]
| When things are free, the price is always right. That’s one of the great
| things about open source software, and many open source applications are now
| so mature that they compete very directly with proprietary alternatives. Here
| are three open source applications that you may not use, but may even be
| preferable to proprietary alternatives.
`----

http://webworkerdaily.com/2008/09/30/three-free-open-source-wonders-for-web-workers/

Video tour: Bluefish editor

,----[ Quote ]
| Bluefish is a GUI-based text and code editor that runs on "most (maybe all?)
| POSIX compatible operating systems including Linux, FreeBSD, Ma cOS X,
| OpenBSD, and Solaris." It has an impressive feature list, and is both
| lightweight and speedy. It is not currently under heavy development primarily
| because it is a mature program that already does exactly what it is supposed
| to do with no fuss or complaint.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148662

Recent:

Web developer practices open source but doesn't preach it

,----[ Quote ]
| Right from the beginning, the company deployed its development environment
| and Web servers on Linux, since Ingham's background was with that
| platform. "That was my first experience with Linux," St. Peter says. "I found
| that it is a very comfortable and safe environment to develop in."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/137519

Related:

Online music school saves cash with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Her experience has been so good, Hoefner recommends other Web developers take
| a hard look at Linux.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/121369

Web designing with Ubuntu