[News] More Financing with GNU/Linux, GnuCash 2.2.7 is Out

Keep tabs on your finances with HomeBank

,----[ Quote ]
| If you are serious about keeping tabs on your finances, give HomeBank a try.
| While it is not the most sophisticated personal finance manager out there,
| HomeBank makes it easy to keep track of your income and daily expenses. Add
| to this a clean and user-friendly interface and the ability to generate
| nice-looking charts, and you have an excellent finance management tool
| indeed.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/148729

GnuCash 2.2.7 released

,----[ Quote ]
| The GnuCash development team proudly announces GnuCash 2.2.7
| aka "Dates'n'Prices", the seventh bug fix release in a series of stable
| releases of the GnuCash Free Accounting Software.
`----

http://www.gnucash.org/#080927-2-2-7.news

Recent:

If You Knew Cash Like GnuCash Knows Cash

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the final frontiers for users, and open source programmers, is the
| dark realm of the financial application. Plenty of office suites, customer
| relationship managers, IDEs, and various groupware packages abound, but a
| dearth of solid and usable financial programs are available. GnuCash fills
| the void of a financial package for Linux users but GnuCash, contrary to what
| some believe, will not replace Quickbooks although it does have some very
| advanced features. It is more of a competitor with Microsoft Money or Quicken
| for personal account or small business accounting. It may fill the need,
| however, for a large number of you who feel stuck with a Windows-only
| financial application solution.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/6779/

Shareware Report: GNU money versus old

,----[ Quote ]
| GnuCash has enough financial bells and whistles to compete with the best
| commercial packages. Based on commercial accounting principles, its features
| include double entry, accounting, stock/bond/mutual fund accounts, and the
| ability to import files in the QIF, OFX and HBCI file formats.
|
| As technical writers, we were impressed with the accompanying (and extremely
| helpful) Tutorial and Concepts Guide.
`----

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080330/STYLE/530445018

Microsoft's Market Cap Falls $24B in 17 Days

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft is on the list. Today, the stock closed at $25.01 a share, down
| $2.39, or 8.72 percent.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/corporate/microsofts_market_cap_falls_24b_in_two_weeks.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft calls on Congress to reconsider bailout

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the massive Wall Street sell-off, Microsoft on Monday called on
| Congress to revisit its bailout decision, saying government action
| is "vitally important."
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10053774-56.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Ballmer: Congress must 'stabilize' financial crisis

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-10054252-75.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Ballmer says Microsoft not immune from global crisis

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080930/bs_nm/us_microsoft_ballmer;_ylt=Au5VO.rh_OuPGHCBr9O.m4K573QA

21 of the Best Free Linux Financial Software

,----[ Quote ]
| The repercussions of the credit crunch have continued to occupy headline news
| in recent weeks. We have witnessed the demise of Lehman Brothers and
| Washington Mutual, the rescue of AIG, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the sale of
| Merrill Lynch, the proposed merger of Lloyds TSB and HBOS (which would never
| have been permitted under normal circumstances), and the list goes on.
`----

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20080927164237918/Financial.html

Five programs you can afford in a financial meltdown

,----[ Quote ]
| 3) Quicken: GnuCash Chances are you've heard of the other programs I've
| mentioned, but GnuCash 2.2.7 may be new to you. It shouldn't be. It's an
| outstanding money management program. And, if there's anything we need right
| now, it's some good money management.
|
| [...]
|
| What I will point out though is that no one in their right mind runs Windows
| without security software. That means people buy, at a minimum, an anti-virus
| program. If you go for the whole she-bang of anti-virus, firewall, anti-spam,
| etc. etc., Norton Internet Security 2009 will sock your wallet for $50. Linux
| doesn't need a lot of that junk and what it does need, like a firewall, comes
| bundled in it.
`----

http://blogs.computerworld.com/five_programs_you_can_afford_in_a_financial_meltdown

Wall Street becoming Linux stronghold

,----[ Quote ]
| Wall Street firms increasingly are buying into Linux, but some still need
| convincing that open source licensing and support models won't make using the
| technology more trouble than its worth.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2008/061208-linux-wall-street.html

Wall Street still likes Linux, but for new reasons

,----[ Quote ]
| A few years ago, financial services firms tended to point to low cost and
| customizability of components as their major reasons for turning to Linux and
| open source. But at the Linux/Open Source on Wall Street show today,
| panelists devoted more of their remarks to topics such as multi-OS server
| consolidation on mainframes and creating realtime Linux applications for PC
| servers, aptly reflecting the growing complexity of software environments in
| financial firms and elsewhere.
|
| [...]
|
| Speaking with BetaNews later, however, Graves said that, in his opinion, the
| main benefit of Linux right now is that Linux appllications will run --
| either virtualized, or not -- on virtually any hardware system, including X86
| PCs and mainframes.
|
| Credit Suisse's Bubba, meanwhile, views the main benefit of Linux as lying in
| its wealth of real-time applications.
`----

http://www.betanews.com/article/Wall_Street_still_likes_Linux_but_for_new_reasons/1207083805

NYSE Euronext banks on Red Hat

,----[ Quote ]
| If anyone out there persists in believing that Linux isn't ready for serious
| prime time, NYSE Euronext's dependence on Red Hat should finally lay that
| silly notion to rest. As announced, the New York Stock Exchange Euronext
| dumped its proprietary UNIX heritage (AIX, HP UX, Solaris) for the freedom,
| flexibility, and performance of Linux.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9942680-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Marketcetera Targets Buy-Side with New Open Source Algo Trading Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Similar to the way the Linux operating system was developed by a community of
| software programmers, Marketcetera is drawing upon the methods of open source
| development to create a framework for building automated trading systems.
`----

http://www.advancedtrading.com/tradingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=207801096&cid=RSSfeed_AdTrade_News

The Big Board Goes Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The largest stock exchange on Earth is a Linux shop.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3747076/The+Big+Board+Goes+Linux.htm

Report: Red Hat, SAS among top tech companies

,----[ Quote ]
| Red Hat and SAS are two of the 30 most influential technology companies in
| the world, according to a report released Tuesday by the Aberdeen Group.
`----

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/stories/2008/05/12/daily14.html

Open Source at Wall Street: Groundwork gets momentum in the Financial Sector

,----[ Quote ]
| Groundwork, the provider of the open source based IT management and network
| monitoring solution, is getting momentum in financial services environments.
`----

http://robertogaloppini.net/2008/08/27/open-source-at-wall-street-groundwork-gets-momentum-in-the-financial-sector/

Related:

Linux steps up to power NZ Stock Exchange

,----[ Quote ]
| The New Zealand Stock Exchange is moving to a Linux platform for its
| settlement and clearing system, replacing its existing HP NonStop platform
| and applications in order to reduce cost and increase flexibility.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/F586239BCCA7593FCC2573F00001488E

HP Linux servers bolster NYSE trading app

,----[ Quote ]
| "We favor Linux for what we do. We don't want to be beholden to any one
| [hardware or software] supplier, even if it is very good. We want the freedom
| to be vendor-independent, so Linux was a good choice," said Rubinow.
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1285921,00.html

GnuCash 2.2.0 released

,----[ Quote ]