[News] Free Software for US Army, Linux for Japanese Army

Congress: Open-source for U.S. military

,----[ Quote ]
| If you thought you’d never see the phrase”open-source” in a federal funding
| bill, think again.
|
| The House’s proposed National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2009
| (H.R. 5658) includes language that calls for military services to consider
| open-source software when procuring manned or unmanned aerial vehicles,
| according to Government Computer News.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/gadgetreviews/?p=388

Concurrent RedHawk Linux Powers Real-Time Data Acquisition for Japanese Defense

,----[ Quote ]
| Concurrent's RedHawk Linux systems gathered hard, real-time flight
| information from the ground through GPS and telemetry providing control
| command to the scale model during autonomous flight tests.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/concurrent-redhawk-linux-powers-real-time/story.aspx?guid=%7B385213F7-53E2-4246-A918-93DBF56C7683%7D&dist=hppr
http://tinyurl.com/3o6khj

Recent:

America's Army Returning To Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Do you remember the days when we had America's Army for Linux? The
| first-person shooter game sponsored by the US government and uses Epic's
| Unreal Engine while being distributed freely? Well, it could come back to
| Linux!
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcxMA

Related:

America's Army 2.7 (Overmatch) on Linux (WINE)

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.phoronix.net/forums/showthread.php?t=237