Re: Microsoft 'Innovates' Assigning Colours to Windows

On Sep 10, 5:40 am, Rex Ballard <rex.ball...@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]
> > ,----[ Quote ]
> > | A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
> > | that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
> > | almost any participation by the small business community.
>
> Supposedly, the patent office has made it easier for individuals and
> small businesses to file for patents.  The problem is that a good
> patent search can cost several thousand dollars, and a thorough search
> for ALL prior art can cost as much as a quarter million.
>
> At minimum, the inventor should search Google for similar technology
> after filing the initial application, as part of the search process.
> And if Google comes up with 1 million listings, you'd probably better
> take a look at every one of them, because missing just one would be
> enough to nullify your patent.
>
> > | Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
> > | competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
> > | large corporations and the patent industry.
>
> Not surprising.  Remember, big corporations seek to protect themselves
> from lawsuits by smaller companies or slightly unethical lawyers.  The
> two best protections are Open Source, and Patents.  Open Source pretty
> much assures the company that if there were anyone who had prior art,
> they would have spoken up, and if they haven't applied for a patent,
> they won't be able to.
>
> Patents are a bit dicier.  You have to publish your code when you file
> for the patent, and the patent application now comes under the
> scrutiny of anyone looking for infringements.
>
> Large companies try to create a big "umbrella" of patents by cross-
> licensing patents with lots of other companies on a "barter" basis.
> Essentially, "I let you use any of my patent if you let me use any of
> yours.  Since no one knows when a new patent might just be the "next
> big thing", most large companies prefer the umbrella approach.
>
> > | [...]
> > | Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
> > | said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
> > | all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
> > | those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
>
> Aren't BSA and Microsoft pretty much the same thing?  Has anyone done
> an audit of BSA to see how the money they collect is actually
> distributed.  The Software Publisher's Association (SPA) used to raid
> companies, even seize their PCs, and
> claim that the company was using pirated software.  After an extensive
> audit, they
> would demand huge sums of money, based on an alternative of $10,000
> and/or 5 years in prison for each title pirated times the number of
> machines getting copies.
>
> But it turned out that about 99% of the money went to Microsoft even
> though 90% of the actual piracy was unregistered shareware.  The
> shareware companies were lucky if they got anything at all.

That is because Microsoft is entitled to the money!  A clause in one
of their EULAs forbids using their product for copyright violations.
I wondered about that for a while, even asked Erik why MS would bother
to include a prohibition against an already illegal activity.  The
clause seems so innocent, violating copyrights should not be done.
But, violate _any_ copyright and you violate the EULA, which
terminates your "right" to use Windows, turning you into a copyright
ciminal.  Hence MS does the legal work and collects for themselves.
Who says piracy does not pay?

Its a perfect setup.  MS gets to collect fines for offences against
unrelated entities.  And besides, who does not violate copyrights to
some degree?  When MS-SPA goon does an audit, he might come to your
desk and say "Thats a nice picture of Mt Everest you are using for
wallpaper.  Can I see the letter from the copyright owner allowing
this?"  Busted!

Sharing is buried rather deeply into human makeup.  Anyone that does
not violate copyrights at least "just a little" is a freak.  MS has
found a very nice way to game the system.