[News] Mozilla Development News and Continued Gecko Commitment

Why Mozilla is committed to Gecko as WebKit popularity grows

,----[ Quote ]
| In the wake of Google's release of the new WebKit-based Chrome browser, some
| technology enthusiasts are beginning to wonder if the days are numbered for
| Mozilla's Gecko rendering engine. Despite the growing popularity of WebKit,
| those who understand the differences between the two rendering engines and
| have an appreciation of Gecko's technical strengths, recognize that there is
| no basis for speculation about the possibility of Mozilla adopting it for
| future versions of Firefox.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/mozilla-committed-to-gecko.ars

Browser Battle: Firefox 3.1 vs. Chrome vs. IE 8

,----[ Quote ]
| The browser wars are heating up by the week. Here is a breakdown of the
| browser battle lines for Chrome, Internet Explorer, and Firefox.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/150828/browser_battle_firefox_31_vs_chrome_vs_ie_8.html

about:mozilla - Firefox 3.1, TraceMonkey, Mobile Firefox, Language-based
interfaces, Drag and drop, and more…

,----[ Quote ]
| In this issue…
|
|     * Firefox 3.1 Alpha 2 now available
|     * Drag and Drop is here
|     * Mozilla, Firefox and Google Chrome
|     * Andreas Gal on the TraceMonkey JavaScript engine
|     * TraceMonkey vs. V8: JavaScript performance
|     * Mobile Firefox, now with add-ons
|     * Designing a theme for Mobile Firefox
`----

http://developer.mozilla.org/devnews/index.php/2008/09/09/aboutmozilla-firefox-31-tracemonkey-mobile-firefox-language-based-interfaces-drag-and-drop-and-more/
http://tinyurl.com/69q9ey

Another new newsletter:

PCLinuxOS September 2008 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| PCLinuxOS Magazine, September 2008 (Issue 25) is available to download. You
| can find it at the PCLinuxOS Magazine website. If you'd like to be informed
| immediately about our releases, please signup for the Magazine-Announce
| mailing list .
`----

http://www.pclosmag.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=90&Itemid=28

Recent:

Firefox 3 Hits 17.3 Million Downloads

,----[ Quote ]
| Since launch last week in excess of 17.3 million downloads of Firefox 3 have
| taken place.
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,147422-c,mozilla/article.html

My Experiences with Firefox 3.0 on Linux, Windows and Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| Loads up in three seconds, a real rocket! Firefox 3 integrates with your GTK+
| theme, so you’ve got some cool visual consistency going on which is actually
| an exception in Linux.
`----

http://www.internetling.com/2008/06/23/my-experiences-with-firefox-30-on-linux-windows-and-mac-os-x/

Firefox 3.0 boosts Mozilla's market share

,----[ Quote ]
| That's up 0.76 per cent from the 18.41 per cent it posted for May.
|
| [...]
|
| Based on trends, Vizzaccaro earlier this month projected that Firefox would
| reach the 20 per cent share mark sometime in July.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1759260904&rid=-50

Guiness World Record Certificate in your name - Firefox 3

,----[ Quote ]
| The record is 15,067,570 downloads (15 Million). Country wise, USA tops the
| list with a whooping 4 million + downloads. Surprisingly, sans the US,
| relatively small countries like Iran and France clocked more downloads than
| its larger counterparts like India and China.
|
| If you are one of the people who downloaded Firefox on June 17th, then
| congratulations !!; You are a part of the Guiness Book of World Records. And
| the people at Firefox are ever too grateful to forget your valuable
| contribution.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2008/06/guiness-world-record-certificate-in.html

Iceweasel goes 3.0 too

,----[ Quote ]
| Debian's "Iceweasel" build of Firefox 3.0 is out.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/community/?q=node/18172

Inside Firefox 3's Latest Beta Update, Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| Integration with Linux has also been kicked up a notch so that default icons,
| buttons and menu styles in Firefox now use the native GTK (The Gimp Toolkit)
| theme.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/it-management/61710.html?welcome=1203204489

Need FF2 in Hardy? Try GNU’s IceCat.

,----[ Quote ]
| IceCat is “the GNU version of the Firefox browser.” Basically, the GNU guys
| took Mozilla’s code, and compiled it without using the “proprietary” parts,
| meaning the Logo and the name, among other things.
`----

http://www.ozymo.com/~chuck/blog/2008/04/18/need-ff2-in-hardy-try-gnus-icecat/

Firefox 3: rocking on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have been noticing how good our support on Linux has gotten
| during the Firefox 3 development cycle and I thought I would post to try and
| point out some of the good stuff that we have coming down the pipe.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
| efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
| is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
| amazing: true GTK support.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firefox-30-beta-2-is-a-win-for-linux/

Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

,----[ Quote ]
| I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
| unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
| technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
| capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox
| chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
| had never previously considered.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/16/personas-from-mozilla-labs-gives-firefox-a-sleek-coat

Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme

,----[ Quote ]
| Work on the new linux theme for Firefox 3 is progressing nicely due to a very
| active group of contributers. To match the operating system’s theme,
| Firefox’s navigation toolbar will use native GTK icons.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/13/update-on-the-firefox-3-linux-theme/

Related:

Firefox Set Free in IceWeasel

,----[ Quote ]
| One possible outcome is that Debian developers just rename Firefox to
| something else. Another possibility is that they just use GNU's
| IceWeasel.

Iceweasel released from its cage

,----[ Quote ]
`----