Re: News] [Rival] In-store Munchkins for Microsoft Windows

____/ Sinister Midget on Sunday 07 September 2008 09:02 : \____

> On 2008-09-07, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:
>>
>> ____/ Sinister Midget on Saturday 06 September 2008 21:51 : \____
>>
>>> On 2008-09-05, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> claimed:

>>> Time to burn up a bunch of linux CDs and head off to Bestest Buy and
>>> Circus City for the holidays.
>>
>> Just don't show Compiz-Fusion to shoppers. It makes Vista look very, very
>> ugly.
>
> Hopefully I can slip a CD into some machines and reboot a few of them.
> That should make the Microsofties earn their keep.

Mandriva has Compiz and graphics drivers built in (also working out of the box
with the Live/install CD).

> It might not work, though. OEMs have pushed digital drives lower in the
> boot order than hard drives on most or all of the machines I run
> across. Most likely due to pressure from MS, since anybody wanting to
> boot a CD on a new machine must be a pirate or illegal linux user.

Someone in France did this just over a year ago. I think he called it
PC-jacking, but I can't recall for sure.

> I don't want to stand around dicking with BIOSes. Maybe I'll also need
> something portable.

- --
"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..." --Paul DeGroot, a Directions
On Microsoft analyst.