Re: [News] Intellectual Freedom Demotes Intellectual Monopolies; US Candidates Wants Reform

____/ Robin T Cox on Saturday 06 September 2008 17:04 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>>  Intellectual freedom versus intellectual property
>
> Remember the happy days when the Roman Church had a monopoly over the Bible?
>
> How strange that the advocates of intellectual property do not insist upon
> owning the copyright to God's word.
>
> How strange that they also do not recognise that intellectual property
> attempts to restrict one of God's gifts - scientific knowledge - to those
> who can pay them a fee.

It boils down to brainwash and upbringing (perception). Microsoft has
recognised this, so it calls for IPR at schools (in its SEC filing/s:
http://www. microsoft.com/msft/SEC/default.mspx).

Patent brainwashing in elementary schools (???)

,----[ Quote ]
| Alas! The terrible things they're teaching my children in schools these days,
| probably funded by Microsoft's OnMyWay program!
|
| I went to visit my son's class today, and discovered that they had been
| submitting proposals for patents, their teachers clearly no fans of
| innovation.... :-)
`----

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9953254-16.html

Can Microsoft teach tots digital-age virtue?

,----[ Quote ]
| The basis of Redmond's pitch was a small survey they sponsored where nearly
| half of the kids polled said they were unfamiliar with the rules and
| guidelines of using copyrighted media. Microsoft figured tots would be less
| inclined to steal someone's IP if they knew about the alleged consequences.
|
| A lot of digital ink was used to slam Microsoft's scheme. People need Redmond
| telling them about IP rules like they need Pavorotti schooling them about a
| well-balanced diet.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/27/microsoft_ip_curriculum_look/

Threat Of Jail Time Increases Respect For Copyright, Microsoft Says

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not clear whether Microsoft's statement to teen respondents -- "When you
| do not follow these rules you are open to significant fines and possibly jail
| time" -- is entirely accurate, particularly when teens under the age of 18
| are involved. Emily Berger, an intellectual property fellow at the Electronic
| Frontier Foundation, is skeptical. "I think it's being used as a scare
| tactic," she said. "It's a real stretch of the law to say it's theoretically
| possible."
`----

http://informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=206503467

Microsoft training youth to love intellectual property

,----[ Quote ]
| Take, for example, its commitment to help teenagers understand the importance
| of respecting intellectual property (read: giving Microsoft more money). It
| just put out a survey showing that when kids understand the rules of
| copyright, they're "less likely to download illegally."
|
| [...]
|
| The one thing it didn't explain to teens is why they should retrofit
| 20th-century copyright laws onto 21st-century realities. Digitization is a
| fact. The web is a fact. Intellectual property is not the same as real,
| tangible property, and should be treated and monetized differently.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9871636-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Ballmer Youth.

- --
"There's a lot of Linux out there -- much more than Microsoft generally signals
publicly -- and their customers are using it..." --Paul DeGroot, a Directions
On Microsoft analyst.