[News] McCain Advisor a Microsoft/Patents Lobbyist

McCain senior advisor Carleton Fiorina

,----[ Quote ]
| But the fact is. A company that wants to invest in patent lawyers can expand
| the number of patents it holds as it likes. Just reallocate resources to the
| legal department. And HP under Carly Fiorina did that, increased the number
| of patents it applied for dramatically. But does it mean more innovation?
|
| [...]
|
| I recently noticed that SUN Microsystems announced to abandon its patent
| inflation strategy as over-patenting was not worth the investment. It is
| difficult to assess the strategic value of a mine field and you don't find
| good data how much profit is generated by patents, which patents generate
| profit or benefit for the company and which are not worth the investment. In
| most companies investments in patents follow a rule of thumb. Large holders
| seek profit with patent portfolios like hunters with a shotgun aim for a
| flock of birds.
`----

http://stopsoftwarepatents.org/forum/t-86439/mccain-senior-advisor-carleton-fiorina

Recent:

The France Shift From No to Abstain -- HP helped Microsoft France do it

| Here's the scoop from Les Echos.fr on France's sudden change from its No vote
| to Abstain. Microsoft France's President Eric Boustouller sent AFNOR a
| letter [PDF] in French, of course. He tells a tale about OOXML and ODF
| progressing side by side and how if OOXML is approved, a group will be
| working hard to make the two more interoperable. Attached was a an HP
| statement of support for OOXML. HP sings the same song. And AFNOR?
|
| [...]
|
| Could it be any more cynical? So, now we know that HP is not supportive of
| Linux and FOSS as we thought. Knock me over with a feather. So, they got them
| to change on the basis of promises for the future. I'm sure there's more to
| the story, of course.

Microsoft seeds HP PCs with Live Search

,----[ Quote ]
| Ever determined to close the gap on Google, Microsoft has cut a deal with HP
| to dope all new PCs it flogs to North Americans with Live Search.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2008/06/02/microsoft_hp_live_search/

Microsoft, HP expand business alliance

,----[ Quote ]
| A new deal announced Wednesday calls for, among other things, more HP
| workers to be trained to sell Microsoft products.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6143540.html

French consumer protectionists are demanding PCs without preinstalled
software

,----[ Quote ]
| The consumer protectionists of the French organization UFC-Que Choisir
| are demanding of the IT group Hewlett-Packard and the vendors Auchan
| and Darty that they offer PCs without preinstalled software.
|
| [...]
|
| UFC-Que Choisir last year also took action against Sony and Apple,
| taking the two companies to court for allegedly putting their
| customers at a disadvantage through proprietary DRM technologies
| and curtailing their choice of devices.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/82605/from/rss09

Microsoft dirty tricks, part two

,----[ Quote ]
| So the outside vendor was Hewlett-Packard, one of Microsoft's hardware OEMs,
| which is to say Microsoft's bitch.
|
| The tape disappearance was blamed on HP, which  accepted the blame,
| and the employees directly involved kept expecting there to be
| repurcussions, especially legal ones.  They expected to be deposed by
| Burst lawyers.  But it never happened.
|
| This was, for Microsoft, a perfect ending.
`----

http://www.technologyevangelist.com/2007/02/microsoft_dirty_tric_4.html

HP loves Linux the Windows way

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, unless you’re used to the fact that your hardware vendor offers you RPM
| or DEB packages for Windows products, it shouldn’t surprise you that HP
| offers only Windows executables as a way to support its Linux products...
`----

http://blog.wpkg.org/2008/04/17/hp-loves-linux-the-windows-way/

An Open Video to HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Shawn Powers has a message for hardware vendors. Listen up!
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/video/open-letter-hp

E-mail: Microsoft 'botched' dealings with Intel, HP

,----[ Quote ]
| Internal Microsoft e-mails revealed through a federal class-action lawsuit
| arising from the troubled launch last year of the Windows Vista operating
| system have provided a provocative inside look at the software giant's
| machinations with Intel, HP and Dell.
|
| The e-mails include an exchange in which one senior Microsoft executive
| described dealings with computer makers as "really botched." Another manager
| complained Microsoft was "caving to Intel" and "really burning HP."
|
| The e-mails are included in 145 pages of documents unsealed by U.S. District
| Judge Marsha Pechman in Seattle late Wednesday. They include internal
| reports and some handwritten notes that offer a rare look inside at the
| famed "Wintel" partnership, and touch upon the alliance's dealings with
| Hewlett-Packard, Dell and other computer makers.
`----

http://origin.mercurynews.com/businessheadlines/ci_8417811?nclick_check=1

Related:

Journalists sue HP for invasion of privacy

,----[ Quote ]
| Four journalists and one of their family members are suing Hewlett-Packard
| for obtaining their personal phone records.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/59241,journalists-sue-hp-for-invasion-of-privacy.aspx

Microsoft, HP to announce agreement on Wednesday

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://in.today.reuters.com/News/newsArticle.aspx?type=technologyNews&storyID=2006-12-13T081444Z_01_NOOTR_RTRJONC_0_India-280098-1.xml
http://tinyurl.com/yl34xr