Re: [News] Google Represents Netscape-like Threat to Convicted Criminal

On 2008-09-04, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Does Windows Still Matter?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>|     ?Chrome is not going to replace Windows. A computer requires an operating
>|     system such as Windows, Apple?s OS X or Linux to make the machine work.
>|     It does, however, have the potential to do what Mr. Gates feared: make
>|     the choice of operating system less important.?
>|
>| So writes John Gapper, the fine columnist for The Financial Times in today?s
>| paper. Chrome, of course, is Google?s new browser, which is pretty explicitly
>| designed to be a Windows killer. As Mr. Gapper notes, that precise fear ?
>| that an Internet browser could become such a powerful platform for
>| applications software that it would effectively take over the function of the
>| operating system ? is what caused Microsoft to start the browser wars in the
>| 1990s, effectively putting Netscape out of business.
> `----
>
> http://executivesuite.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/does-windows-still-matter/?hp
> http://tinyurl.com/6cqbhm

Yep...  You know, MS may just do what they did with Netscape here - pour tons
of cash into IE and actually advance it.  And it wouldn't take much work...

About the only thing that I see that Chrome has (I haven't had a chance to try
it, because the install refuses to work on my test machine) that IE or FireFox
don't have is a fast JavaScript engine....  And that because it is JIT
compiled - wait, MS has had such an animal since 2000.  It's the JScript
engine in .NET :)  A little tweaking and host it in IE and they're done.

--
Tom Shelton