Re: [News] [Rival] Google's Office Killer is definitely *NOT* Killing Office

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ezekiel
<zeke@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:50:23 -0400
<81395$48bff5b0$3279@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> ____/ Linonut on Thursday 04 September 2008 11:51 : \____
>>
>>> * Ezekiel peremptorily fired off this memo:

>> http://news.cnet.com/8301-13953_3-10029861-80.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

>> Back at cha'.
>>
>> Businesses that otherwise would purchase Microsoft Office did not! They
>> went
>> over to Google. There are some major examples like the Daily Telegraph,
>> IIRC.
>
> When the article says that Google Apps "is a puny business" that is only
> 0.03% the size of MS-Office - what part of that escapes you?

And how is it *that* much?  Last I looked Google Apps were given
away free.

http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/category/google/

does mention a $50/person business software license price.
However, most large businesses strongly prefer Microsoft.

> <quote>
> Even with a few enterprise wins, Google Apps is a puny business. According
> to a Fortune article, Google brought in about $4 million with its Google
> Apps business in 2007, compared with $12.2 billion for Microsoft Office.
> </quote>
>

>> Sales of Microsoft Office declined. They declined for a reason
>> and Google is part of it.
>
> In theory yes. The same way that if I piss into the ocean in theory the
> level of the sea rises. But only a dishonset scumbag moron like Roy
> Schestowitz would claim that this "puny" app from Google is "killing"
> Microsoft Office.

Pissing into the world's oceans:

Piss volume: 500 cc (max)
Ocean volume: 1.37 * 10^18 m^3 or 1.37 * 10^21 liters
Ratio: 3.65 * 10^-22
Ocean area: 3.61 * 10^14 m^2
Average ocean depth: 3790 m
Expected rise: 1.38 * 10^-15 m
Van der Waals radius of a hydrogen atom: 1.20 * 10^-10 m
barn (unit of area for describing nuclear reactions): (10^-14 m)^2

[rest snipped]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #1123133:
void f(FILE * fptr, char *p) { fgets(p, sizeof(p), fptr); }