[News] GNU/Linux Succeeds Where Others Do Not

Why Linux has come of age

,----[ Quote ]
| Enter various shades of Linux with Asus choosing Xandros, Acer getting cosy
| with Linpus and Dell sticking to its tried and trusted Ubuntu distro. The low
| cost, high stability and ease of use appears to have now reached the right
| levels for major brands to take a risk.
|
| And that risk should pay off for both parties - Linux is gaining mainstream
| exposure in record numbers and the brands are getting netbooks onto the
| market with features and prices never before possible.
`----

http://darrenyates.techlogg.com/?p=71

Why Linux won the popularity contest and FreeBSD didn’t

,----[ Quote ]
| This isn’t to say that FreeBSD isn’t successful, it is. And of course Solaris
| is very successful. But the question is who has won the hearts and minds of
| those seeking an alternative OS. Consumer orientated PC companies like Dell
| now ship Linux on some of their hardware, this kind of thing doesn’t happen
| for FreeBSD or OpenSolaris.
`----

http://www.hitechsquad.com/2008/09/04/why-linux-won-the-popularity-contest-and-freebsd-didn%E2%80%99t/

That's not entirely true. They grow /together/, e.g. with Compiz, KDE4, ZFS.
It's down to drivers and other factors.

Recent:

Linux in mainstream culture

,----[ Quote ]
| Even if people are not comfortable with the idea, Linux is beginning to
| become more mainstream than we imagine. The production of machines such as
| the Asus EEE, Dell’s selling of Ubuntu-powered machines, Acer’s computers
| running on Linpus and now we have HP with small notebooks which run Linux —
| these have all helped in making it more known to the general public.
`----

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/linux-in-mainstream-culture/

When Linux gets cited as a matter of course, it’s truly gone mainstream

,----[ Quote ]
| In the Linux console, if you enter the following commands, you can learn the
| secrets of a political dirty trick
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/?p=1231

Mainstream U.S. Media Discovers Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| The VAR Guy was flipping though his Sunday morning paper when he spotted an
| article about Ubuntu Linux. He took a few more sips of coffee to perk up and
| make sure his eyes weren’t deceiving him. Sure enough, Ubuntu had made the
| leap into the mainstream media — earning coverage in Newsday, the eight
| largest newspaper in the nation. Has Ubuntu reached its tipping point with
| consumers?
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/03/09/mainstream-media-discovers-ubuntu-linux/

Related: