[News] New Version of Open Source Intrusion Detection Software

OSSEC Releases Most Comprehensive Product Update Ever

,----[ Quote ]
| Third Brigade, a security software company specializing in host intrusion
| detection and prevention systems (IDS/IPS), today announced the availability
| of the latest release of OSSEC, the Open Source Host Intrusion Detection
| System. This new product delivers the most comprehensive update to the OSSEC
| host intrusion detection system in the history of the open source project.

Microsoft changes Windows files on user PCs without permission, researchers say

,----[ Quote ]
| Although Microsoft did not immediately respond to a request for comment, Dunn
| provided Computerworld with a copy of an e-mail he said "Windows Secrets" had
| received from Microsoft's online partner support. In the message, Microsoft
| only hinted at a reason for the changes: "7.0.6000.381 is a consumer-only
| release that addresses some issues after .374 was released. It will not be
| available via WSUS [Windows Server Update Services]."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9036058&source=rss_news10
http://tinyurl.com/3xteyf

UT Dallas says more affected by Internet attack

,----[ Quote ]
| The University of Texas at Dallas said Wednesday that further analysis
| of a network breach has revealed that all people employed at the
| university between 1999 and 2005 potentially have had sensitive
| information exposed.
`----

http://phoenix.bizjournals.com/dallas/stories/2006/12/11/daily31.html

Cyberattacks at federal agencies draw House scrutiny

,----[ Quote ]
| In the process of analyzing that malicious code, analysts also
| discovered another previously unknown hole in the Windows operating
| system that lacked a security patch.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7348_3-6177783.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Microsoft Seeks Another OS-Level Adware Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has just published a patent application for advertising triggered
| by sequences of user actions, which describes how to interrupt game playing,
| music listening, and photo viewing with pop-up ads ('the components may be
| integrated directly into the operating system').
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/13/1447235&from=rss

Windows, Please Leave Me Alone

,----[ Quote ]
| So I have a simple solution to this, I went over to my laptop running linux
| (Kubuntu) watched my video, and left XP behind. When Gusty Gibbon comes out
| XP might be left permanently out of my life, along with any other windows
| distribution. Don't think that I hate XP or think its a bad operating system,
| but this kind of stuff I have no control over and don't feel like I should
| spend my time on it.
`----

http://navetz.com/view.php?id=74

Windows is spyware

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has crossed the line. They have been disliked by many techies, for
| arrogance, incompetence and more. But, this wasn't a universal opinion and
| reasonable people could have disagreed. Now however, the question of
| Microsoft's corporate character has left the realm of opinion and landed
| firmly in fact.
|
| They are bad guys.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13554_1-9778389-33.html

European Parliament rushes towards Soviet Internet

,----[ Quote ]
| Amendments to the European Telecommunications directive being rushed through
| the European Parliament propose a "Soviet internet" where software publishers
| and internet service providers watch traffic and data for Hollywood. Software
| and services that run on the internet would have to ask for permission of the
| regulators.
|
| [...]
|
| Benjamin Henrion, FFII representative in Brussels, rings the alarm
| bell: "Tomorrow, popular software applications like Skype or even Firefox
| might be declared illegal in Europe if they are not certified by an
| administrative authority. This is compromising the whole open development of
| the internet as we know it today. Once the Soviet Union required the
| registration of all typewriters and printing devices with the authorities."
`----

http://www.digitalmajority.org/forum/t-72379/european-parliament-rushes-towards-soviet-internet

Researcher Accuses Sears of Spreading Spyware

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,140918-c,onlineprivacy/article.html