[News] Apple is Not a Friend of Free Software, GNU/Linux

Tomorrow's War: Why FOSS Needs to Change its Views of Apple

,----[ Quote ]
| By definition, free and open source software (FOSS) is opposed to proprietary
| companies. But, as Jim Zemlin and Stephen J. Vaughan-Nichols have pointed out
| recently, the FOSS community does not regard all proprietary companies with
| equal disdain. Specifically, while fear and loathing of Microsoft often
| reaches towering, even paranoid heights, Apple is hardly ever condemned, and
| even seems to be regarded with approval by many members of the FOSS
| community. Yet, in some ways, Apple poses a greater proprietary threat than
| Microsoft.
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3768761/Tomorrows+War
+Why+FOSS+Needs+to+Change+its+Views+of+Apple.htm
http://tinyurl.com/6j4kqj

Recent:

OpenClip, she is dead [Apple kills open source software]

,----[ Quote ]
| For those of you who do not remember - or do not care to remember - OpenClip
| was supposed to be an open framework for implementing the Cocoa NSPasteboard
| functionality to the iPhone. While I’m thinking that if Apple wanted to
| implement copy/paste into the iPhone they would have done it already or will
| do it soon, OpenClip was a noble effort to work around the limitations of OS
| X on the iPhone.
`----

http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/08/25/openclip-she-is-dead/

ASA Adjudications [Apple lies about open source]

,----[ Quote ]
| A TV ad, for the iPhone, showed the phone in someone's hand and a finger
| switching it on to reveal the menu page. The finger touched the weather icon
| showing the forecast for Cape Town and then navigated through a Heathrow
| Airport area map, a Safari icon, hotels and stock market webpage.  The iPhone
| rang and the hand was shown answering it.  During the ad, the voice-over
| said " You never know which part of the internet you'll need.  The do you
| need sun cream part? The what's the quickest way to the airport part? The
| what about an ocean view room part? Or the can you really afford this part?
| Which is why all the parts of the internet are on the iPhone".  The ad ended
| with on-screen text that stated "iPhone. Only on O2".
|
| Issue
| Two viewers believed the claim that all parts of the internet were accessible
| was misleading because they understood that the iPhone did not support Flash
| or Java, both integral to many web pages.
`----

http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/adjudications/Public/TF_ADJ_44891.htm

Why does Apple Always Seem to Get a Break???

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux. This is the only platform that is not a prison. You are really free
| with Linux. People are congregating at will, building creative new
| structures. Yeah – maybe it isn’t as pretty as the luxury hotel prison that
| is Apple, but at least we are free. In the end it isn’t prison walls that win
| in technology. CompuServe and AOL were beaten by the internet. Centrally
| controlled mainframes were killed by the PC. Over time the best technology
| comes from innovation in unexpected places and while we are occasionally
| wooed by the pretty sounds of “You’ve Got Mail” or the stunning design of a
| new iPhone; we have all seen this movie before and know how it ends.
`----

http://www.linux-foundation.org/weblogs/jzemlin/2008/08/24/why-does-apple-always-seem-to-get-a-break/

Wozniak hates Open Sauce

,----[ Quote ]