[News] [Rival] Software as a Service Displaces Windows, Microsoft

Cloud computing about to rain on Microsoft parade

,----[ Quote ]
| Work from home and get paid to log on to YouTube — that’s life in “the
| cloud”.
|
| The cloud, or cloud computing, is the latest phrase on the lips of every IT
| geek, and they say it’s transforming our lives by quantum leaps and bounds.
`----

http://www.thetimes.co.za/Careers/Article.aspx?id=832410

Bypassing the O/S.

Recent:

Free and Open Source Software vs. Cloud Computing

,----[ Quote ]
| Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see the point of proprietary network
| services (or cloud computing, or Software as a Service, if you prefer). Not
| when you have Free software as an alternative (“Free,” in this case, being
| analogous to open source or GNU/Linux).
`----

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3760206/Free+and+Open+Source+Software+vs+Cloud+Computing.htm

ELASTRA Delivers Cloud Portability With Support for Open Source Eucalyptus
Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| Eucalyptus is implemented using commonly available Linux tools and basic
| Web-service technologies.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080819005445&newsLang=en

Cloud Computing and Open Source

,----[ Quote ]
| The web moved from static HTML pages to Web 2.0. Software is increasing
| moving away from the delivery to the “hosted” model. Computing resource
| acquisitions is moving from buying to renting. This has given rise to new
| paradigms of delivering software such as Software-as-a-Service or SaaS and
| Cloud Computing. Open source software has been one of the key enablers of
| these new revolution alongwith open standards (HTML, HTTP, CSS, XML etc).
| Whether it is Linux or Apache or Firefox or Python.
|
| [...]
|
| However the GPL has some “loopholes” which Application Service Providers
| (ASPs) exploit. Since the distribution clauses of GPL v2 (and now GPL v3) do
| not govern the software whose functionality is accessed over a network
| (mostly the Internet), ASPs and SaaS companies were able to make changes to
| OSS and not give them back to the community. The license that fixed this
| loophole was the Affero GPL v3. This has a clause that governs the usage of a
| software over the Internet.
`----

http://it.sys-con.com/node/652558/print

Open options for cloud computing