[News] KDE UserBase is Up and Running, KDE4 Progress Reported

UserBase Goes Live!

,----[ Quote ]
| The KDE community is pleased to announce UserBase. UserBase is the new
| end-user wiki for KDE and complements TechBase, the wiki aimed at developers.
| It will contain tips and tricks, links to where to get more help, as well as
| an application catalogue giving an overview of the different kinds of
| programs that KDE offers.
`----

http://dot.kde.org/1221824063/

KDE Commit Digest : Issue 128 : 14th September 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| "Shortcut Scheme" support allows creation of shortcut themes (Emacs, etc.)
| for use in KDE applications. A "Media Player" runner (with support for Amarok
| 2), more work on panel hiding, and support for text zoom in the "Web Browser"
| Plasmoid in Plasma. The "Weather Station" applet moves to kdereview. More
| refinements in PowerDevil, in preparation for a move to kdebase. Lots more
| functionality in Attica, the Open Collaboration Services desktop client.
| Start of session support in KDevPlatform (the basis of KDevelop 4). A "McCabe
| cyclomatic complexity metric engine" in KDevelop 4. Support for image rating
| (using KRatingWidget) in the interface of KPhotoAlbum. Progress towards real
| levels in the KPicross game. More work towards Jabber-based network games in
| KSirK. A "black screen" presentation feature in Okular. Various work in
| Akonadi and KDE-PIM. Start of the NetworkManager KControl module (for use in
| System Settings, etc). Incremental scanner support returns to Amarok 2. New
| plugin to specify the download order of multi-file torrents in KTorrent.
| Passwords saved per LDAP login (not host) in KRDC, greatly improving the
| experience for LDAP administrators. An OpenGL demo to demonstrate various
| parts of Eigen 2. Some work to make KDE application dialogs fit into 1024x600
| pixels. Merge of improvements to KFontInstaller. Import of QuickSand, an
| alternative front-end for KRunner. A proof-of-concept "decibel-kde" library
| for representing contacts "based on the representation used by Kopete". WLM
| protocol imported into Kopete. Asciiquarium screensaver moves from kdereview
| to kdeartwork. Kugar and koshell are removed from KOffice 2.
`----

http://commit-digest.org/issues/2008-09-14/

Recent:

Deploying KDE to 52 million young people

,----[ Quote ]
| By the end of this year 29,000 labs serving some 32,000,000 students will be
| fully deployed and in active use.
|
| By the end of next year (2009) those numbers will have swelled to 53,000 labs
| serving some 52,000,000 students.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/deploying-kde-to-52-million-young.html

Proof of concept: Google Gadgets on Plasma

,----[ Quote ]
| Now this list was extended by a new set of widgets: the Google Gadgets. The
| following screenshot shows that Google Gadgets can be run on Plasma...
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/07/04/proof-of-concept-google-gadgets-on-plasma/

Converting any window into plasmoid

,----[ Quote ]
| Despite all current limitation, I think this approach still has its own
| use-cases, for example when you want quick access to some of your
| applications from Dashboard (for example Konsole) or if you want something
| not-yet-available as plasmoid on your desktop (for example video player,
| advanced calculator, web-browser with your webmail, a game from kdegames,
| googleearth, ...).
`----

http://ksvladimir.blogspot.com/2008/06/converting-any-window-into-plasmoid.html

KDE’s Plasma Project aims to find out who their users really are

,----[ Quote ]
| Plasma is KDE’s way of making the ‘desktop’ a better user experience by
| letting users decide what ’shape’ it is. I think that KDE wants to empower
| its users by making the panel, the desktop and other components customizable
| in so many ways and yet make them work together seamlessly. The concept is
| quite different from the usual desktop because you will have plasmoids and
| stuff which you can tweak so that they will behave according to what you
| prefer.
`----

http://www.newlinuxuser.com/kdes-plasma-project-aims-to-find-out-who-their-users-really-are/

Amarok 2 Alpha - An Early Look at What's Going On

,----[ Quote ]
| Currently, it's very obvious Amarok 2 is in the alpha phase. The major thing
| that changed is the interface, which looks nicer and more modern now, with
| the collection browser located in the left and the playlist itself located to
| the right side of Amarok's window.
`----

http://vivapinkfloyd.blogspot.com/2008/06/amarok-2-alpha-early-look-at-whats.html

The Power of Plasma theming - a gallery of 23 themes

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the most often mentioned concerns at the KDE booth at LinuxTag was the
| question if Plasma would force the user to have a black panel. While we did
| have a second machine showing another theme to resolve all doubts it showed
| that not all users now yet the power of Plasma theming.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2008/06/11/the-power-of-plasma-theming-a-gallery-of-23-themes/

Your Rough Guide to Plasma.

,----[ Quote ]
| So I've chosen to become Shane's Personal Plasma Steward. This in turn makes
| me much more aware of things, that I personally take for granted which aren't
| so natural (yet) to others. One of those things is "How does this thing
| work?" (for "plasma" as value of thing). Let me explain on a high level how
| you can use Plasma and make the most of it, starting with a default Plasma
| desktop.
`----

http://vizzzion.org/?blogentry=817

on the recent libplasma changes

,----[ Quote ]
| So if you are concerned about the recent changes made impacting stability, I
| thank you for your concern and empathize with how one could arrive at such a
| conclusion. Thankfully, these changes have been made specifically to answer
| your concerns, as well as mine, about stability and feature completeness both
| in 4.1 and beyond.
`----

http://aseigo.blogspot.com/2008/04/on-recent-libplasma-changes.html

... on scripting