[News] GNU/Linux Substitutes to Inferior Microsoft 'Solutions'

Linux alternatives to Windows SBS part one

,----[ Quote ]
| I've claimed that Microsoft's Small Business Server (SBS) is hampered by its
| built-in limitations. These constraints have been designed in. Why would you
| opt for SBS when you could have it all using Linux? It's time to put my money
| where my mouth is.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20709/1143/

Recent:

Ubuntu Server vs. Windows Small Business Server: Looming Showdown?

,----[ Quote ]
| Frankly, it’s too soon to say. And The VAR Guy only has anecdotal evidence
| that Ubuntu Server is catching on in small businesses.
|
| In recent weeks, our resident blogger helped to develop the Works With U 1000
| — a fast growing list that plots Ubuntu deployments across the globe. Example
| small businesses running Ubuntu Server Edition include:
|
|     * Adaptia, of Caceres, Spain, with one Ubuntu server and five Ubuntu
|       desktops/laptops.
|     * Bogan Productions, a media firm in Melbourne, Asutralia with two Ubuntu
|       servers and two desktops.
|     * Innovative Geeks of Shoreline, Wash., with two Ubuntu servers and eight
|       Ubuntu desktops/laptops.
|     * Yooter InterActive Marketing Agency, a company in Pennsylvania with
|       roughly seven Ubuntu servers and 20 Ubuntu desktops and mobile systems.
|
| [...]
|
| Sure, some small businesses are discovering Ubuntu on their own. But the
| biggest potential threat to Small Business Server appears to be Software as a
| Service (SaaS) and hosted applications, The VAR Guy believes.
`----

http://www.thevarguy.com/2008/09/02/ubuntu-server-vs-windows-small-business-server-looming-showdown/
http://tinyurl.com/5up7ah

Is Linux ready for your Small Business?

,----[ Quote ]
| Start Switching Applications Now. When you decide to start down this road,
| one of the best things you can do is to start switching applications now.
| Start installing Firefox on your Windows machines and encourage users to use
| it instead of IE (I would even suggest changing the default browser).  Most
| linux IM clients also have a working Windows version.  Install OpenOffice and
| remove Microsoft Office.  That last one will probably cause the most
| complaints.
`----

http://itatsmallbiz.wordpress.com/2008/07/10/is-linux-ready-for-your-small-business/
http://tinyurl.com/5gwpem

OSS a ‘good choice’ for SMEs

,----[ Quote ]
| “For example, in a desktop environment in which users just need a simple web
| interface, basic word processing and a spreadsheet, an open source package
| such as Ubuntu running OpenOffice would be perfect. These users don’t need
| the bells and whistles of a Microsoft Office.”
`----

http://www.tectonic.co.za/?p=2731

A business built on open source, virtualization, and clouds

,----[ Quote ]
| Libertelli discovered Linux in the late '90s when he owned a large
| development company called G. Triad. That company helped launch some big
| sites, like toysrus.com, dowjonesuniversity.com, and smartmoney.com. "We were
| into ColdFusion, and J.J. Allaire adopted Linux early. We've developed on top
| of Linux ever since."
|
| Libertelli calls himself "more of an entrepreneur" than strictly a
| technologist. "I find myself always gravitating to the GNU-type projects.
| They are the best way to develop venture-backed applications. With the amount
| of creativity coming out of the community, and the value right out of the
| box, you realize a real benefit by always using [FOSS]."
|
| ReadyTechs doesn't just develop with open source, it uses it throughout the
| company. "The other day I was looking around the office and realized we use a
| lot of Linux applications. We're not Linux purists, but it seems that when we
| need an application, the Linux option just winds up working the best. Not
| because it's the best, but because we can touch it. We can modify it very
| easily and it ends up suiting us well.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/145509

Related:

Can a small business afford not to run Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| Small businesses are considered by many as the backbone of a healthy economy.
| Collectively, they are by far the biggest employer of labour but individually
| they are most vulnerable to changes in the economic climate. Keeping their
| computer systems running as smoothly and as cost effectively as possible is
| mandatory and therefore, for a small business, so is Linux.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15298/1023/

Free and Open Source Software Guide for SMEs

,----[ Quote ]
| Two EU-funded projects in the area of Free and Open Source Software (F/OSS),
| namely OpenTTT and FLOSSMETRICS, have recently published a F/OSS guide for
| SMEs. Different types of software applications and businesses are addressed,
| making this guide useful for most SMEs that wish to simply use F/OSS or even
| build a F/OSS-based business approach.
`----

http://www.zeapartners.org/articles/guide-for-smes001

Linux well suited to SMB market

,----[ Quote ]
| "Small businesses are looking to save money on technology," says Kamini
| Rupani, a product director with Avocent. "In a time of tightened licensing,
| escalating software costs, relative to total costs, and low initial costs of
| Linux and its cadre of tools, SMBs are looking at the strategy of considering
| open-source software.
|
| Linux is well suited for a smaller organization because it scales
| incrementally without large initial cash outlays. SMBs can tailor their
| enterprises to better fit their needs with Linux."
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=47379&cid=11

Linux for the SMB market: slow? steady? or both?

,----[ Quote ]
| Everywhere you turn nowadays, another company is targeting the Small and
| Medium Business (SMB) marketplace. SMBs are growing, and represent a segment
| of the IT market that has not been fully exploited by many, including open
| source software vendors that boasted early successes with large enterprises.
|
| [...]
|
| Nearly three years ago, AMI Partners researched the Linux penetration into
| the SMB marketplace. According to their research, Linux had penetrated about
| a fourth of all companies with 100 to 249 employees.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/022808-linux-smb.html

Follow the money in SMB open source market

,----[ Quote ]
| Where Microsoft has developed an enormous business in training re-sellers,
| and finding them prospects, open source vendors have barely begun this
| process.
|
| You might call it Ballmer’s Revenge, because it’s Steve Ballmer who deserves
| the credit for building this organization.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1817

Going Open for SMB?

,----[ Quote ]
| If you're looking for a way to get documents prepared, run what-if scenarios,
| and create sales presentations to show in a customer's office, then
| OpenOffice.org 2.3 is a very realistic option.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/smbit/archives/2007/10/going_open_for.html

Free Software for the SMB

,----[ Quote ]