Re: Linux really catching on

Sinister Midget wrote:

> Then again, it might have been genuine miscalculation, not intentional
> creation of hyperbole. It's possible demand for linux (and these
> machines) is far greater than even the most optimistic person ever
> imagined, ever could imagine.

I'm sure you are right!
Certainly the whole concept seems to have wrong-footed MS, and one can well
imagine that the manufacturers are a bit surprised by their own success as
well!

What was it that Bill Gates said about OLPC - "Jeez, get a proper platform" or
something?  These gadgets seem to me to be OLPC for the the developed world.

One other thing strikes me, and would appreciate an informed response.
I read somewhere that the original intention was that they'd be aimed at
students and casual users, but that a lot were being bought now for
professional use while travelling.  The article went on to say something
about XP Home not being suitable for linking to a corporate LAN.
Can some kind soul explain that please?