[News] 500 Teams Coordinate Software Freedom Day

500 teams registered for SFD08!

,----[ Quote ]
| That is over 500 teams in over 90 countries all around the world, all
| celebrating SFD and taking software freedom to the masses!|
`----

http://softwarefreedomday.org/

Do you smell that?

,----[ Quote ]
| That's a lot going on in a short period. Why does it matter? Because it's a
| completely different way of running technology. In the current system, Bill
| Gates and Steve Jobs get filthy rich by making something and selling a
| license to use it as-is...but it's still theirs, and you're not allowed to
| change anything, lest ye be sued for lots of cash. In an open source
| community, Linus Torvalds gives you his program, and now it's everybody's, to
| do with how they please, and anybody can change it however they want to make
| it better (utilizing what the Intertube users call the Hivemind, the
| collected efforts of countless people online). Generally, this is all done
| free, too.
`----

http://www.kansan.com/blogs/intertubes_dot_web/2008/sep/15/opensource/

Recent:

Announcing Software Freedom Day [Singapore]

,----[ Quote ]
| Software Freedom Day is a global celebration of Free and Open Source
| Software. We are pleased to announce that the Linux User Group Singapore and
| the Singapore Linux Meetup Group will be joining hands to present this event
| in Singapore.
`----

http://www.softwarefreedomday.sg/

Software Freedom Day 2008: Updated

,----[ Quote ]
| Software Freedom Day 2008 will be with us next Saturday the 20th of
| September. More than 500 teams in over 120 countries are holding events to
| mark the occasion.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/20622/1162/

Software Freedom Day in Boston is a Wealth for the Commons: Saturday, September
20, 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Thursday, September 11th, 2008 -- It's Saturday and a roomful of people are
| advising each other on modifying their mobile devices, optimizing their
| GNU/Linux systems and organizing for software freedom. But it's not a room
| full of experts -- at least not mostly. Artists, activists, students and
| others want the freedom to do anything they want with their computers and
| they're here to learn new tricks and garner shortcuts from each other.
`----

http://www.fsf.org/news/software-freedom-day-boston-2008

Sun plans open source push

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2226007/sun-plans-software-freedom-day

Software Freedom Day in Boston is a Wealth for the Commons: Saturday, September
20, 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| It's Saturday and a roomful of people are advising each other on modifying
| their mobile devices, optimizing their GNU/Linux systems and organizing for
| software freedom. But it's not a room full of experts - at least not mostly.
| Artists, activists, students and others want the freedom to do anything they
| want with their computers and they're here to learn new tricks and garner
| shortcuts from each other.
`----

http://www.openmediaboston.org/node/319

Unlimited Potential in open source software

,----[ Quote ]
| Wellington ICT professionals network Unlimited Potential is adding a local
| flavour to international Software Freedom Day celebrations.
`----

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/SC0809/S00044.htm

Sun Leads Global Mobilization of Communities Around Software Freedom Day 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems, Inc. (NASDAQ:JAVA) today announced a global call to action
| for organizations and consumers to embrace open source software as part of
| its sponsorship of Software Freedom Day (SFD) on September 20, 2008. Sun is
| calling for community members and Sun employees across the world to
| participate in a global education program designed to improve awareness
| around the importance and benefits of open source technologies.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080911005284&newsLang=en

Software Freedom Day 08 happening in Wellington

,----[ Quote ]
| Unlimited Potential (UP) in association with the New Zealand Open Source
| Society (NZOSS), SuperHappyDevHouse, Wellington Linux User Group (WellyLUG)
| and CWA New Media are organising Software Freedom Day 08.

Software Freedom Day - huh?

,----[ Quote ]
| So if you’re new to open source, Software Freedom Day celebrates a
| philosophical movement which values collaboration, community and
| transparency. It benefits the public good and ensures basic human freedoms
| are strengthened by technology, not hampered.
`----

http://www.fanaticattack.com/2008/software-freedom-day-huh.html

Ubuntu Love Day Manila 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| The Ubuntu Philippines Local Community Team (Ubuntu-PH), in cooperation with
| the University of the Philippines Diliman Department of Computer Science,
| invite you to a day of sharing experiences, learning, and meeting fellow
| enthusiasts involved in the hottest GNU/Linux distribution that hit
| mainstream computing - Ubuntu!
`----

http://jdocih.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/ubuntu-love-day-manila-2008/

Software Freedom Day 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, like I mentioned before, It was only last year when I heard about this
| wonderful global event. Natalie Colina and Rodrigo Rodriguez (both members of
| a LUG in Paraguana, GULIP) told me about this oportunity to promote more
| aournd my city, also to show a sign of unity and true world wide community.
`----

http://effiejayx.velugmaracaibo.org.ve/?p=130

Document Freedom Day in Vienna/Austria

,----[ Quote ]