[News] Free Software Ideology Adopted for Prosthetics, Radio

Open-Source Thinking Revolutionizes Prosthetic Limbs

,----[ Quote ]
| The reality is that there's no traditional economic incentive to do work and
| make improvements on prosthetics. That doesn't mean that nobody cares, but
| most people don't have the money or know-how to magnify whatever efforts or
| improvements they make. I think we can generate far more societal benefit if
| we give away information than if we commercialized and sold the ideas. Our
| goal is to create a way to share these efforts and improvements with anyone
| who needs them.
`----

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?id=open-source-thinking

Open-source radio technology: Now available for process engineering

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the technological progress of fieldbus in process automation, the
| next development step in field communication is that of solutions involving
| radio technology. Can radio technology be used on an “across the board”
| basis? Based on open standards, the HART Communication Foundation provides
| the answer with WirelessHART.
`----

http://www.plantengineering.com/article/CA6594336.html?industryid=47221

Timbl too was inspired by Stallman when he created the WWW.

Recent:

Radio NZ rolls out Ogg Vorbis

,----[ Quote ]
| Hulse says the use of Ogg Vorbis has been in the planning stage for a while,
| but was delayed while he worked out a way to rationalise Radio New Zealand’s
| storage.
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/48FDE3BF317797CECC2574C500031C60

Collaborative Radio Shows Invite Listeners into Creative Process

,----[ Quote ]
| Greta Pemberton, the Blogger in Chief for Open Source, told me
| the show averaged about 150,000 listeners on-air per week and
| 150,000 downloads of its podcast per month.
`----

http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2007/06/digging_deepercollaborative_ra.html

Digipup: A Linux live CD for amateur radio

,----[ Quote ]
| With Digipup, you can verify compatibility with your amateur radio
| rig, your logs, and your inner nature without going to the trouble
| of installing a Linux distribution to do so. Just plop Digipup in
| your CD drive, boot the system, and there you are.

An adventure in Iraqi freedom with Streamtime and FLOSS

,----[ Quote ]
| Van der Spek wanted to create hundreds of small radio stations by
| turning workstations into Internet broadcasting machines using Dyne:bolic,
| a live Linux CD optimized with all the necessary digital media software.
| Dyne:bolic runs on almost any kind of Intel hardware and doesn't need to
| be installed on the hard drive. Because it runs in RAM, it leaves no
| permanent trace of its presence on the workstation, making it safe for use
| by those in occupied territories who might risk prosecution if authorities
| discovered a rogue radio broadcast.
`----

http://community.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/04/25/2027204&from=rss

Linux-based Audiobot Pro broadcasts your own radio station

,----[ Quote ]
| The aptly-named Audiobot Pro is a Linux-based device which enables
| customers to "distribute audio to radio stations and music venues."
| Made for those who adore simplicity, you simply connect up an audio
| source and it "automatically records, formats, and uploads MP3
| recordings to any website."
`----

http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/linux-based-audiobot-pro-broadcasts-your-own-radio-station/

Radio Open Source Gets $250K MacArthur Grant

,----[ Quote ]
| Speaking of funding for public broadcasting, yesterday the Public
| Radio International show Radio Open Source announced it's received
| a $250,000 grant from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur
| Foundation "in support of the innovative use of Internet-based
| tools in the production of a daily public radio program."
`----

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=31&aid=119291

KRUU, open source radio

,----[ Quote ]
| Amongst other things, it seems, he meant that KRUU has made a
| commitment to use only Open Source software. As KRUU founder
| Roland Wells explained on Open Views, all KRUU's PCs run on the
| GNU/Linux operating system, and the audio editing tools (Ardour
| and Audacity) used by DJs at the station are also Open Source.

Open Source Radio is A Sound Salvation

,----[ Quote ]
| The song sharply criticizes the commercialization of mainstream
| radio ("They;re saying things that I can hardly believe") and one
| can only imagine the shock NBC executives experienced that night
| considering their radio station was the very sort Costello
| condemned. Performing "Radio Radio" without warning at SNL got
| Costello banned from the show for 12 years.
|
| [...]
|
| But new media and technology is finally reversing the trend of putting
| "the radio in the hands of such a lot of fools tryin' to anaesthetize
| the way that you feel," as Costello would put it.
`----

http://www.newassignment.net/blog/bess_kargman/feb2007/01/open_source_radi

Open source Campcaster empowers independent radio broadcasters

http://community.linux.com/community/07/01/19/1955221.shtml?tid=11&tid=49

Radio goes the open source route

Linux radio suite powers independent broadcasters

http://www.tectonic.co.za/view.php?src=rss&id=1314