[News] Why Career in Free Software Considered More Rearding and Satisfying

  • Subject: [News] Why Career in Free Software Considered More Rearding and Satisfying
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 13:19:32 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

The Road to Geekdom

,----[ Quote ]
| You've seen the TV commercials: young white man stuck in a dead-end,
| low-paying job wakes up one morning, decides to sign up for classes at Foo
| Tech, and is transformed into a skilled computer technician working in his
| dream job. Apparently degrees from Foo Tech translate into good salaries and
| co-workers and customers who are pleasant, and do not drive you insane.
| Riiight. But stereotypes and hype aside, how does a person become an ace
| computing deity? Do you need college, certifications, apprenticeships at the
| feet of wizened gurus? Why would a person even want to consider a tech
| career? Aren't all the good jobs being outsourced? Isn't the tech industry
| full of unwashed grumpy guys who hate everything?
|
| [...]
|
| The best part of the FOSS world is making friends all over the planet.
| Because it is free and open, unencumbered by delicate corporate sensibilities
| and paranoia, we can trade knowledge and information freely. I think the best
| minds in tech are in FOSS, and most of them are generous with their time and
| knowledge. (Even the grumpy ones can be baited into revealing good stuff -
| just say something you know is way wrong and wait for the informative
| flames.)
`----

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/opinions/6533/1/

Recent:

Open Source as An Easy Answer for Better Developer Visibility (and Career
Opportunity)

,----[ Quote ]
| As a participant in an open source project, everything is in your control.
| You pick the project that you think is the most valuable, or in which you can
| develop the skills you need but can't justify on your résumé. In the universe
| of open source, you're judged only by what you contribute. Corporate politics
| aren't an issue. If your code is useful, or your technical documentation is
| appreciated, or you're just a welcoming voice on the community IRC channel,
| you have a good chance of being invited to become a committer.
`----

http://advice.cio.com/esther_schindler/contribute

Australia’s first Open Source Census published

,----[ Quote ]
| Results of Australia’s first large-scale Open Source community census have
| been released to the public.
|
| [...]
|
| Open Source was suggested as an export avenue to offset a part of the trade
| deficit. Currently, 45 percent of the open source industry service export
| markets, generating revenue of $60 million, the report says.
`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/73600,australia%E2%80%99s-first-open-source-census-published.aspx

Aussie coders not in open source for the money

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/software/soa/Aussie-coders-not-in-open-source-for-the-money/0,130061733,339285537,00.htm