[News] Experiences with Wolvix GNU/Linux, OpenSolaris 2008.05

  • Subject: [News] Experiences with Wolvix GNU/Linux, OpenSolaris 2008.05
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 23:32:41 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

Long-lost Click: Wolvix again

,----[ Quote ]
| Adding to Wolvix's flexibility, it can run as a live CD, or be installed in a
| traditional or "frugal" manner. I've chosen traditional installs, and the
| install process in Wolvix is excellent. It's easy to create as many
| partitions as you need, you get a choice of GRUB or LILO bootloaders, and
| once you do have it installed, slapt-get and Gslapt are ready to bring all
| the apps up to date from both the Wolvix and Slackware repositories. And the
| Slackware team continues to update version 11, which was first released in
| October 2006. Even Slackware 8 (circa 2002) seems to get an update every once
| in awhile.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2008/09/longlost-click-wolvix-again.html

OpenSolaris 2008.05 is robust and ready

,----[ Quote ]
| By releasing OpenSolaris under a license that isn't compatible with the GPL,
| Sun has made sure that certain key technologies will remain the purview of
| Solaris. If you are an open source purist, you might not like the way
| OpenSolaris is licensed and packaged, but if you are more pragmatic,
| OpenSolaris is a good choice, especially for use on a server.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147358

Recent:

Wolvix, My Kind of Wolf

,----[ Quote ]
| Wolvix is probably one of the fastest rising distros today. First released 2
| years ago, it has already gained plenty of loyal followers and is steadily
| going up in the ranks of Linux distributions over at Distrowatch. In fact, I
| received a couple of comments at this blog and some emails telling me to try
| Wolvix. So what’s so special about this beastly-named distro? I’m here to
| find out.
|
| [...]
|
| Wolvix is really an amazing Linux distribution considering that it is
| developed and maintained by only two men.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2008/03/wolvix-my-kind-of-wolf.html

Related:

Interview with Wolven, creator of Wolvix, and his sidekick Oithona

,----[ Quote ]
| Just be warned: If you do, best nail that beauty down otherwise it's liable
| to take off. Now, read on for more about Wolvix and its creators, Wolven and
| Oithona.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=381

Eight Distros a Week: Wolvix GNU/Linux 1.1 Hunter

,----[ Quote ]
| Being the happy distro wanderer that I am, I had a chance to put Wolvix 1.1.0
| GNU/Linux, the Hunter version, on a Dell Inspiron 5000 laptop, and it easily
| enters into the group of distros that I think highly of, in general, and
| distros that I plan to use day to day, in particular.
`----

http://larrythefreesoftwareguy.wordpress.com/2008/02/15/eight-distros-a-week-wolvix-gnulinux-11-hunter/
http://tinyurl.com/35n96d

Distro Review: Wolvix 1.1.0 Hunter

,----[ Quote ]
| After a long delay due to illness I'm finally back with another review for
| you. I'm still not feeling too good but I've decided to plough on and I hope
| to have some more new reviews for you ASAP. This is the 3rd part or my trip
| through Slackware-based distros and today's candidate is Wolvix 1.1.0 Hunter,
| I was intrigued to see how it would compare to Zenwalk and Vector which I
| tested recently. So here's how I got on...
`----

http://adventuresinopensource.blogspot.com/2008/02/distro-review-wolvix-110-hunter.html

Wolvix 1.1.0, revisited

,----[ Quote ]
| Even for people who started like me, with Slackware, in 1995, Wolvix will not
| be the main distro on my new laptop, but rather on the old laptop, or maybe
| one of the two distros on the desktop PC.
`----

http://beranger.org/index.php?page=diary&2007/10/09/07/35/56-wolvix-1-1-0-revisited

Wolvix 1.1.0 - A Very Flexible Animal

,----[ Quote ]
| For an English speaking desktop or laptop user with even a small amount of
| previous Linux experience Wolvix is one of the best distributions I’ve seen.
| It’s fast, it’s nearly bug free, it’s well thought out, and is generally
| excellent.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2007/08/wolvix_110_a_very_flexible_ani.html

Dancing with Wolves, a Wolvix Hunter 1.1.0 Review

| If I were to say I was impressed with Wolvix Hunter 1.1.0, it would be an
| understatement.
`----

http://on-disk.com/cms/index.php?wiki=Wolvix110

Stable Release: Wolvix 1.1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm pleased to announce the final release of Wolvix Cub  and Wolvix Hunter
| version 1.1.0. I've not been able to get in contact with our sponsor to
| spread the ISOs around the mirrors yet, so I've prepared some alternative
| download locations to take the load off the main server.
`----

http://wolvix.org/node/668

Wolvix 1.1.0 Mini-Review & Screenshots

,----[ Quote ]