News] Special-purpose Distro (Endian) Reviewed and Latest DistroWatch Weekly

Securing your network premises with Endian

,----[ Quote ]
| Installation is easy; download the software, which is just a little more than
| 100MB in size. If you're planning to use it in production, stick with the
| stable version. Burn the image to a CD and boot from it. I used an old
| Pentium 4 1.6GHz box with 512MB of memory and 10GB of disk space, which
| worked fine.
|
| [...]
|
| Endian's main advantage is its ease of use. The configuration is simple
| enough for most people to understand without asking for support. While Astaro
| and commercial applications can be more flexible, they're for the more
| technically inclined. Because Endian Firewall Community is licensed under the
| GPL, nothing prohibits its use for any purpose. Astaro, on the other hand, is
| limited to noncommercial use.
|
| Although Endian Firewall Community is not yet a complete UTM solution, I
| recommend it for organizations that want simple configuration and basic UTM
| security.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/147054

DistroWatch Weekly, Issue 270, 15 September 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to this year's 36th issue of DistroWatch Weekly! An issue largely
| dedicated to Ubuntu, our editorial looks at the increasingly assertive way
| Canonical handles its trademarks with relations to other Ubuntu-based
| distributions. In related news, Ubuntu debates ways to bypass a controversial
| Mozilla licensing requirement, Shuttleworth announces Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty
| Jackalope" with interesting innovations, and the Ubuntu Eee project launches
| a new product for the popular netbook from ASUS, incorporating a brand new
| desktop interface. Also in the news, openSUSE goes for a complete switch to
| KDE 4.x starting with version 11.2, Fedora announces the availability of
| package updates after a recent server crack, and Red Hat receives criticism
| from the Linux community over the lack of security information following the
| Fedora server compromise. Finally, if you are a translator or if you work in
| localising software applications, don't miss Linguas OS, a PCLinuxOS-based
| live CD that could greatly speed up your work. Happy reading!
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20080915#news

Related:

[Endian Firewall 2.1 Just Released]