[News] Ubuntu Wants Mozilla to Clean up Its EULA Act

AN IRRELEVANT LICENSE IS PRESENTED TO YOU FREE-OF-CHARGE ON STARTUP

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla Corp asked that this be added in order for us to continue to call the
| browser Firefox. Since Firefox is their trademark, which we intend to
| respect, we have the choice of working with Mozilla to meet their
| requirements, or switching to an unbranded browser.
|
| It's strongly our preference, and that of most of our users, to have Firefox
| as the browser in Ubuntu.
|
| I think it's perfectly reasonable for Mozilla to have requirements and
| guidelines for the use of their trademark - we have the same for Ubuntu, and
| many other free software projects do the same.
|
| [...]
|
| I believe we have a new package in Intrepid, called abrowser, which uses the
| codebase behind Firefox without invoking the Firefox trade mark.
`----

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/firefox-3.0/+bug/269656/comments/5

Battle Brews Over Firefox In Ubuntu 8.10

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of users are now disturbed over having to see this EULA as they call
| it "an irrelevant license" and that "mandating this EULA is going too far."
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcxOA

Related:

Firefox 3.0 Beta 2 Is A Win For Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Mozilla has released the latest beta of Firefox 3 today, and the Linux
| efforts behind it are starting to show even more. This release, being a beta,
| is surprisingly stable. Here’s the killer that makes this beta release
| amazing: true GTK support.
`----

http://fosswire.com/2007/12/20/firefox-30-beta-2-is-a-win-for-linux/

Firefox 3: rocking on Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| A few people have been noticing how good our support on Linux has gotten
| during the Firefox 3 development cycle and I thought I would post to try and
| point out some of the good stuff that we have coming down the pipe.
`----

http://www.0xdeadbeef.com/weblog/?p=325

Personas from Mozilla Labs give Firefox a sleek coat

,----[ Quote ]
| I probably won't use Personas much myself since I greatly prefer the
| unadulterated GTK look in Firefox 3, but the addon is very intriguing from a
| technical standpoint. The way that Personas takes Firefox's Internet
| capabilities and leverages theme to bring dynamic content to the Firefox
| chrome layer is very creative and it reflects a lot of possibilities that I
| had never previously considered.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/linux.ars/2007/12/16/personas-from-mozilla-labs-gives-firefox-a-sleek-coat

Update on the Firefox 3 Linux Theme

,----[ Quote ]
| Work on the new linux theme for Firefox 3 is progressing nicely due to a very
| active group of contributers. To match the operating system’s theme,
| Firefox’s navigation toolbar will use native GTK icons.
`----

http://blog.mozilla.com/faaborg/2007/11/13/update-on-the-firefox-3-linux-theme/

Shop offers Firefoxers a discount

,----[ Quote ]