[News] New GNU/Linux Releases: GParted, CentOS, ELive

12 September 2008 : GParted 0.3.9

,----[ Quote ]
| This release of GParted includes some new features in addition to bug fixes,
| and language translation updates.
|
| Key changes include:
|
|     * Reduced time to move or copy partitions
|     * Added ability to create and check hfs+ file systems
`----

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php

CentOS 4.7 Release Notes

,----[ Quote ]
| Welcome to the CentOS 4.7 release. CentOS is an Enterprise-class Linux
| Distribution derived from sources freely provided to the public by our
| Upstream OS Provider (UOP)1.
`----

http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOS4.7

Elive 1.8.8 development released

,----[ Quote ]
| The Elive Team is proud to announce the release of the development version
| 1.8.8
`----

http://www.elivecd.org/Main/News/elive-development-1.8.8-released

Recent:

Manage partitions and disks with GParted-Clonezilla live CD

,----[ Quote ]
| For a home user or an administrator with just a few systems, the
| GParted-Clonezilla live CD is an excellent tool for managing disks. It can
| save you several hours when preparing new disks or migrating partitions from
| one disk to another. It's also a fantastic way to move a partition that's not
| around free space into a bigger partition without much fuss.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/115208

ELive

,----[ Quote ]
| I saw the distrowatch announcement on the ELive beta, so I figured I would
| give it a try. On a very low end system with an old intel card, this thing is
| fast and definitely has a wow factor. I recommend anyone with a spare blank
| cd check it out. Enlightenment used to be the king of window managers, it
| could be again if they keep this up.
`----

http://www.sharms.org/blog/?p=169

CentOS 5.2: Send in the Clones

,----[ Quote ]
| If I were in the mood to use an RPM-based distribution, CentOS would be my
| first and probably only choice. It's not as pretty as openSuSE or even its
| cousin Fedora, but it's more stable than both on my setup. Stability wins out
| over eye-candy any day.
|
| CentOS is one of the few distributions that (perhaps due to its emphasis on
| small, incremental changes) manages to pull consistently high marks even from
| me. This release is no exception.
`----

http://www.techiemoe.com/tech/centos52.htm

CentOS 5.2 released

,----[ Quote ]
| After the usual few weeks delay following the release of Red Hat Enterprise
| 5.2, the CentOS project has released its Red Hat clone – CentOS version 5.2.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/109992/from/rss09

Related:

First look at Elive 1.0

,----[ Quote ]
| I love Elive and version 1.0 is a wonderful first full release. Just about
| everything works and works well. The system and applications are stable and
| fast performing and Elive looks exceptionally beautiful doing it.
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070709#feature

ELIVE 1.0 - ELIVE GEM

,----[ Quote ]
| Summarizing, Elive 1.0 Gem's strenght  is actually it's graphical/animative
| prowess. Since  Elive 1.0 aka Elive Gem is based on Debian Etch,  I am not
| surprised at all that it is a very stable Linux distro.
`----

http://www.linuxseekers.com/content/view/148/1/

Enlighten your desktop with Elive

,----[ Quote ]
| Elive's been in development for several years now and in fact is so
| popular that its developer, Samuel "Thanatermesis" F. Baggen, works on
| it full time. In this month's article, Samuel explains his reasons for
| spinning Elive and how the distro has evolved over the years.
`----

http://www.packtpub.com/article/enlighten-your-desktop-with-elive

Elive - Are You Ready for a New Linux Experience?

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, even if the E 17 window manager is still in heavy development,
| it still looks and acts very well on this stable version of Elive. The
| development team exceeded all my expectations, because of the work they did
| on the E 17 customization and all the other improvements and innovation to
| ease our lives. Try Elive right now, because you will love it, you will adore
| it and most of all, I'll promise you will be addicted to it a long time from
| now on.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Elive-Are-You-Ready-For-a-New-Linux-Experience-58810.shtml

Centos 5.1 Review

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS stands for Community ENTerprise Operating System. As a group, CentOS
| is a community of open source contributors and users. Typical CentOS users
| are organizations and individuals that do not need strong commercial support
| in order to achieve successful operation. CentOS is 100% compatible rebuild
| of the Red Hat Enterprise Linux, in full compliance with Red Hat's
| redistribution requirements. CentOS is for people who need an enterprise
| class operating system stability without the cost of certification and
| support. CentOS is currently ranked #12 at distrowatch
`----

http://simplyjat.blogspot.com/2007/12/centos-51-review.html

CentOS 5 as a Desktop System

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS 5 is a stable system which can be user either as a server OS or
| as a desktop system for a normal user. The latter requires a few
| modifications in the default installation (like the performance
| fixes mentioned in the article), but after the tweaking is done,
| it works great and is worth recommending.
`----

http://polishlinux.org/redhat/centos-5-free-redhat/

Dollars and CentOS 4.5: Updating Up2date

,----[ Quote ]
| I continue to be impressed with the way CentOS/Red Hat is laid out. There are
| tons of management tools, and mousing over just about anything on the screen
| causes small "help" boxes to open up. Nice touch.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/dollars_and_centos.html

Is CentOS 5.0 Worth Every Penny?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/10/is-centos-50-worth-every-penny.html

Dollars and CentOS 4.5: Updating Up2date

,----[ Quote ]
| I continue to be impressed with the way CentOS/Red Hat is laid out. There are
| tons of management tools, and mousing over just about anything on the screen
| causes small "help" boxes to open up. Nice touch.
`----

http://www.insidesocal.com/click/2007/09/dollars_and_centos.html

Review: CentOS 5

,----[ Quote ]
| CentOS 5.0 gets high marks from me for a lot of what they do, but looses a
| few points for some of the things they either forgot to do, or chose not to
| do. For business use, it’s a well rounded Linux distribution that’s ready for
| the desktop for certain. But for the portable user and the home user, I feel
| that it needs to grow a bit more before it will find its way onto my
| shortlist of recommended Linux distributions. With what I’ve seen, I’d really
| love for it to reach that level at some point, but for now it’s not. But I
| must say, the developers have done well and I look forward to future versions
| and all the great new things that they will be bringing about in the years to
| come!
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=277&pid=1

A First Look At CentOS 5

,----[ Quote ]
| After what has become a few weeks with it, I believe CentOS 5 is a
| worthy successor to previous versions.  If you're in the market for
| an easy to use Linux operating system, you will find me suggesting it.
`----

http://linuxronin.com/content/view/41/9/

CentOS The Red Hat Clone

,----[ Quote ]